Author Topic: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly  (Read 159313 times)

Offline TurboFource

Re: 1970 s2 0453R Reassembly
« Reply #1740 on: Sunday,August 21, 2022, 01:02:59 PM »
Dual sidedrafts of course 8) 8)

That header clears everything?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1741 on: Sunday,August 21, 2022, 01:50:31 PM »
   Yes , I modeled it after my 821 header I purchased from R&D’s  it’s a bit closer to the block but I can pull it outward slightly.
  The ac compressors home will be on the side of the carb/carbs . About the same length and diameter as the cup . The coolant line is in the way on the exhaust side. My firewall sits 1/2 @ forward on top ( lower window area ) to accommodate the pulley.
Dakazman

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #1742 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 02:59:34 AM »
Bing read this thread.
Great work but our build philosophies are very different.
Nothing polished for mine, single stage paint.
Now to bed!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1743 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 04:27:33 AM »
  Thanks Rich,
   My last paint job was single stage and I liked it .
  I do like thing clean and level also.

While I’m here , does anyone have a recommendation on spark plugs ring duel webers 45’s
I need to put them on my shopping list and close the holes in the engine.
 Dakazman
« Last Edit: Monday,August 22, 2022, 05:28:37 AM by dakazman »

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #1744 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 11:19:45 AM »
Cannot help with the plugs but Salv Sacco probably has an idea.
He responds very well to email.
Twin 45's may be a bit much for the street?
My TS head car has 40's despite being a former Hill-Climb and Auto-X car.
Looks like your TS head was shaved.
That will add some to compression.
I might suggest just slightly radiusing all sharp edges in and around the combustion chambers to help prevent "Pinging/Pinking".
Not so much of an issue with aluminum but peace of mind is valuable.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1745 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 03:07:49 PM »
  Thanks Rich,
I have now prior knowledge of weber decoe I have been reading about them and dellortoS dhla’s. I’ll double check the displacement charts . The only reason I said 45’s is because there seems to be more adaptability.
  I did go with a 40 on my wedge.  This cross flow is basically stock and will develop 90 bhp. I still have to map the cam . I purchased it from Renault 16shop but they couldn’t provide that info.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1746 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 03:16:49 PM »
The Weber Tuning Manual gives you charts to get you to the initial jets and venturis: https://www.lainefamily.com/images/WeberTuningManual.pdf

This manual should be your first stop.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1747 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 03:48:55 PM »
Twin 45s on a 90hp tune?  Way overkill.  You’re just going to lose bottom end.  Frankly, with 9:1 pistons and a mild cam, just stick with the two barrel downdraft.  It’s a good torquey set-up.

What are your valve sizes?

I have a medium tuned crossflow (11:1, largest stock valves, mildly ported, fast street cam, header and twin 40dhlas).  I happily run Bosch WR5DP plugs.  The recommended plug is a W5CC or NGK B7ES.  The DP plugs are expensive but they resist cold fouling better.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1748 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 05:59:57 PM »
Thanks guys , the engine is now in the wait for items stage. I’m gathering info and parts for it .
I thought the 45’s would be overkill.
  John I’d be guessing at the valve size and would have to go back to my records, but just the original size. I remember slightly wanting to go with califkids or serges build specs .  I don’t want to confuse it with the 2 other wedge heads I did, and the other cross flow head I’m searching for parts for.
I pick up several sets of valves from an S1 owner not to long ago and those measurements are on my mind. I’ll be posting them for sale if not needed.
 As for plugs I found these two sets but they didn’t cross. I did find some info and was trying to connect the dots of why the PO’s had given them to me.
   Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1749 on: Monday,August 22, 2022, 07:19:27 PM »
Bosch heat ranges go reverse to NGK.  A larger number is hotter.  I would say the WR4s will be too cold.  If it is mild, the W7 might be ok.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1750 on: Monday,August 29, 2022, 03:23:21 PM »
   Thanks JB.
  Today I managed to get a full 6 hours of time inside my build.
  door panels completed with the door pull surrounds . I had to shim out the door pull assembly to get them to fit . Getting the door pull panel bolts was a challenge and an ongoing task.

I decided to change the routing of the ac lines thru the wheel well instead of the cabin. I'll have to repair the hole I made, but, oh well.
  Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1751 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2022, 06:22:54 PM »
   Made some progress with some additional switches that wouldn’t deter the look of the original design.  I fabricated an under dash panel that I can add a few more controls that are mostly out of sight. Dimmers for instruments and the mood lights.
   I also changed the routing of the ac lines . Instead of coming through the cabin area I kept them in the wheel well area and into the front boot. See small hole drilled thru the wheel well just forward of the inlet duct. This will help in getting me to close up the cabin area .
Rug can now be completed except for firewall. I’m really beginning you understand the devil is in in the details quote.
  New fuse box and a separate fuse relay box going in to handle the electric heater, ac fan, condenser fan and more.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1752 on: Thursday,September 01, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »
  Made a few changes to the wedge engine ac brackets and used the some time to get an idea of where the compressor will sit on the crossflow. Seems like I can get it to fit with either the single dgv or the dual dcoe webers.
  I’m also documenting the blocks bolt location and sizes ex. (m7x1.25/25) . I hope it will help other builds .

My interior is coming along but more on that soon.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1753 on: Friday,September 02, 2022, 03:17:51 PM »
   Music to an aircraft technician ears ,” OKAY To Close. “ The second of three panels ready to install.
It was a tedious task however I won… almost.😠. While shining a light alongside the block I noticed an electrical connector on the bottom of the starter I don’t remember seeing. See pic . The starter is from RD . I took notes of a discussion awhile back on the starter connections , but if anyone can chime in that will be fine also.
  I fabricated a stand-off for the water line. So it wouldn’t be near the exhaust or banging against the frame. The Hermes intake modded the line and it wasn’t as stable as the original run. Then I added the loom to the wiring and secured. The finished fitting the center panel so it had clearance around compressor. The tightening nut was welded to the bracket and the attaching bolt comes out near the dipstick unobstructed.
 Now for the last panel and installing all the AC lines.  I was planning a trip to a local salvage yard but with all the rain lately it’s probably underwater and the parts I need are being protected by snakes and gators , no junkyard dogs down here 😂
  Good news is I can install the carpeting on the right side now and hold off on the firewall section.
Next is a list of upgraded components and there controls that I still need to work out. Usually I just wing it but I’m finding it harder to crawl in and out of the car lately. 😂 later guys!

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1754 on: Saturday,September 03, 2022, 03:18:15 PM »
    Today was a cut the lawn day.  Rocket launch scrubbed again.  After my nap, I went down and picked up my El Camino new condenser that had a crack in it. still a vacuum check leaking. so I'm pressure testing the system and, NO AUDIBLE LEAKS.  WTH.
  The reason for the comment about a rocket launch is that the roads are horrendous, my granddaughter's school was cancelled last Friday and 500,000 tourists don't help in the traffic situation.   

My big job for today, a shifter boot . It has to be done.
Dakazman

« Last Edit: Saturday,September 03, 2022, 03:19:46 PM by dakazman »