Author Topic: Media blasting...  (Read 629 times)

Offline katanaman

Media blasting...
« on: Monday,February 17, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »
  Hi!  See... I'm not dead!  The peninsula just went through a storm system and I'm lucky my (illegal) tent shed is still standing, Lotus safely inside...  My contractors haven't gotten back to me with numbers for my garage project yet.  So... I went over and helped a friend clean up a bunch of 1967 Corvette suspension parts.  Now, I have posted this same question on my MG Experience website, but I want to see how all of you weigh in on this...
  We know that various applications in vehicle construction call for various materials for various strength requirements.  And all of these different materials have different colorations.  I remember from running a bicycle shop, also, that the Japanese always anodized their aluminum components so that they were shaded a blue tint, while the Italians used a yellow anodizing.  This is just a process, but generally, an aluminum part looks dull and a steel part usually gets shined up and blue looking, iron looks dull but porous...
  So...  Why, after we were all done, did all of the parts have the same texture and color?

Offline jbcollier

Re: Media blasting...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2014, 05:46:21 AM »
What's the question?

Blasting removes anodizing, unless you're vapour or soda blasting.  Dirty blasting material makes everything the same colour.