Author Topic: Spitfire heater fan in S1 heater box  (Read 1732 times)

Offline jbcollier

Spitfire heater fan in S1 heater box
« on: Tuesday,February 17, 2015, 06:22:10 PM »
Well, it fits:

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/jbcollier/media/IMG_1288.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

And, with the S1 dash, there is still plenty of room for a radio:

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/jbcollier/media/IMG_1295.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

The S2 and TC dashes are much more vertical and will have less space available to share with a radio.  You need a single speed heater fan motor and fan from an early Spitfire.  It all bolts right in an S1 heater assembly.  Whether it will as well with an S2 and TC, I couldn't say.

Once it’s painted, I’ll fabricate a bulged screen so it’s less likely to get blocked, and fit a screen where the original blower was.

You’ll have noticed that I wrinkle-painted the dash, fit an extra panel for the AC controls, fire pull and charge LED, and, fit an internal fuse block:

http://s250.photobucket.com/user/jbcollier/media/IMG_1297.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

John

Offline BDA

Re: Spitfire heater fan in S1 heater box
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,February 17, 2015, 07:28:20 PM »
I know I've seen pictures of it before but your car is looking really good! Very clean! You've done some really nice work.

Pretty cool how the Spitfire heater fits! I see you're adding an air conditioner. Where are you putting the condenser?

It also looks like you're using Canton filters. There are three! I suppose one is oil and one fuel. What's the third one for?

Can't wait to see more pictures!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,February 17, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
Now that does look good, it looks as if it was made for the car !

After you explained the fan arrangement to me on the other thread I re-assessed what I was doing because your squirrel fan arrangement is a better solution.  I think the problem with the TC (and probably the S2)  is space behind the dash.  My CD/radio comes to within an inch to two of the chamber and none of the fan motors I have around to try show enough clearance. At a pure guess, I'd say the one you have would be too big as well, it looks like one I've already tried. (just the motor, I didn't have the fan itself)

There are shorter radios without the CD units which use SD cards or USB sticks for your own music and I have one of those in the Elan. If someone with an S2/TC is considering this conversion (and it's got to be 100% better than OEM) that might be a possibility because the CD-less radios are fairly cheap.

I'm quite envious of that, you'll be able to de-mist the screen without sitting around for 5 minutes whilst it warms up !

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,February 18, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »
The condenser is in front of the radiator: alloy from the former group buy, mounted in the usual place with a huge 25A rad fan.  The fan is powered by a pulse width controller that runs at 50% when the AC is on.  When the fan is switch to full power, it will also turn an electric water pump.

Canton filters?  Three of them?  News to me.  Which photo are you looking at?

There is a front mounted oil cooler ducted into the LH wheel well.  It's plumbed using an Earl's thermostatic take-off plate and a Ford 90° adaptor to the filter (Wix Ford).  The fuel uses an electric pump to a King filter/regulator before heading to the twin 40 Dells.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,February 18, 2015, 04:24:10 PM »
Here's what I thought were the Canton filters. Maybe they are made under license or maybe I'm just way off base and here is what my Canton filter looks like (what you can see of it).

I looked up King filter/regulator and didn't see anything that looks the things I thought were filters. What are they then?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,February 18, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »
They may well be canton filters but those are not photos of my Europa.

Aha!  Those are photos I snagged from the web showing one good location for an oil cooler near the engine.  Unfortunately that location doesn't work well on an S1 with its under-tray.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,February 18, 2015, 05:14:44 PM by jbcollier »

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,February 18, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
Ahhh!!! I guess I wandered away from your Lotus pictures!  :headbanger: