Author Topic: Cutting miters in the quarter window rubber seals  (Read 571 times)

Offline jjbunn

Cutting miters in the quarter window rubber seals
« on: Tuesday,October 21, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
How does one cut the miter in the rubber seal at the pointy leading edge of the door's quarter window?

I know that the angle of the miter is half the angle of the corner, but quite how to cut the rubber seal, which is of course is not flat, at that precise angle, is puzzling me.

If you've been through this, any advice would be most welcome ;-)

Julian

Online BDA

Re: Cutting miters in the quarter window rubber seals
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,October 21, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
Hi Julian,

Here's what I did. I took the quarter glass, the rubber seal pieces and the frame pieces to a glass shop and had somebody who knew what they were doing do it!

At least, that's what I think I did - I don't actually remember.

It's something that if not done right will be ugly and obvious. Unless you have enough of the rubber seal to experiment and make mistakes, I would advise you to you my method.  :D

Of course, if you are more adventurous, a long way from a glass shop, and/or poor, I would get the sharpest razor knife I could find. Carefully mark the line you want to cut (as you say 1/2 the angle). Find some way to support the seal so that it doesn't move and is close to the position it will be on the car and make the cut using a metal straight edge. You might be able to employ the quarter window to support the seal when you make your cut. Obviously, you don't want to scratch your glass so maybe you could use a piece of plywood in place of the quarter glass.

Good luck!  :welder: (Ok, that was a welder and not a glass installer, but I thought it was in the same spirit!)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 22, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »
If you can find one of those old style office paper trimmers, that might work to slice rubber at the precise angle.

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 22, 2014, 06:55:17 PM »
Thanks, guys - great advice!

I'm going to try with a razor blade, but I don't have much confidence, as I think the seal seats at a slight angle, which will tend to destroy the mating of the two pieces.

Online BDA

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 22, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
You're a braver man than I am! Take it slow, measure twice or three times, cut once, etc... Good luck!

Let us know how it came out! Post a picture.