Author Topic: TC front spoiler fitment  (Read 2906 times)

Offline buzzer

TC front spoiler fitment
« on: Wednesday,June 04, 2014, 08:13:00 AM »
Guys, I am after any views on the following if anyone has any experience in fitting a new front spoiler..  I have finished preparing my bodywork on my TC special and have bought a new standard front spoiler off banks as my old was was completely trashed. 
On fitting the new spoiler when bolting up I get it creasing in the middle (sorry no pic) as I bolt the 2 side bolts up, the 2 sides pull up and crease it in the middle. Now this maybe because my body has distorted from racing impacts etc but...   The question I have is has anyone else had this or similar issues and how did you overcome it. I probably will play around with the hole locations and the profile and but I can see it is going to be a fiddly job to sort out.

Thanks

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: TC front spoiler fitment
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 04, 2014, 08:41:40 AM »
I bought one recently from Banks. Same problem.

I think you will need to ease the fibreglass lumps by filing carefully, or scribe a line say 5mm from the bodywork, cut or file it, and pack it out with a 5mm packing piece or black mastic.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 04, 2014, 11:32:35 AM »
Alex,

Cheers, will have a look at the weekend on what you suggest

Thanks

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 04, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
When I did a '70 Boss 302 I ran into a similar problem.   I go some big arse "C" clamps, the kind attached to the locking pliers (Visegrip).  Stated in the middle and worked my way on each side.   Because you are dealing with glassfiber I would use cloth or thin wood between the clamp and the body.

This way you and make sure the spoiler is centered.  As for the creasing........I got nohtin', but starting from the center may make things better...........maybe, sorta'

mike
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 04, 2014, 03:00:22 PM by cal44 »
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 04, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
It seems odd. On mine, with the end bolts loose, the spoiler follows the curvature of the front nose for a good tight fit.
Did Richard indicate that some "fettling" will be required for a good fit as with his fiberglass crashpads?

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline buzzer

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 05, 2014, 06:24:39 AM »
Joji,

It definitely needs pulling up as when bolted loose touches in the middle with gaps either side.  But this car has been through quite a few knocks, nothing major, but enough that could upset the fitting, although the fit is quite symmetrical. I will talk to Richard about it when I next speak to him. I will take a watching brief on the issue rather than race into it, as plan to check fit the door catches ....then start on the chassis next.

Dave
Dave,

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,June 05, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
Dave,

I'm just wondering what Richard used for a pattern to make his front spoiler. The stock spoiler is pretty stiff with very little need to bend to make it fit. Maybe he used a bad example to make his mold.

On the subject of molds, I'll be talking to an owner of a business that makes race body work for motorcycles to see if he's willing to make replica front spoilers and air boxes out of carbon fiber. He's already made me a couple of extra wheel arches from fiberglass a few years ago and he's local to me.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline buzzer

« Reply #7 on: Friday,June 06, 2014, 12:10:04 AM »
On getting replica body fittings in carbon fibre, definitely sounds cool and would look good. But unfortunately in the UK if you want to race in historic races carbon fibre is banned.
Dave,