Author Topic: Third brake light  (Read 501 times)

Offline kram350kram

Third brake light
« on: Sunday,February 04, 2024, 01:16:08 PM »
Anyone running a third brake light, how did you wire? Since the turn and stop lights are combined circuits did you use a trailer converter? Using the stock DB10 relay.

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
Re: Third brake light
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,February 04, 2024, 01:48:21 PM »
The wire you discussed earlier when asking about the DB10 will do it.

The one from the brake switch (located at the brake pipe junctions near the battery) that goes to terminal 5 on the DB10.

Power from the fuse block >> Brake switch>> your brake light (+12v, when brakes are actuated).  Other wire from your brake light goes to a ground somewhere.

Make sense?

Vince

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,February 04, 2024, 02:17:06 PM »
There have been several mentions about third brake lights here and on the groups.io list. Unfortunately, most of them don't go into great detail about how they are hooked up and many of the links to products are stale. Rather than try to condense what people have said, I'll let you do some searches but this link seemed as helpful as most:

https://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2894.msg29365#msg29365
I would imagine that matmacwac hooked his extra light to the brake switch which I believe is on the S2 near where the left part of the 'Y' of the frame is near the firewall. I believe this is where he got the light: https://www.princessauto.com/en/9-5-8-in-led-third-brake-trailer-light/product/PA0008640591

If you're unfamiliar with the groups.io list, go to https://groups.io/g/LotusEuropa/messages and enter your search criteria. You may have to join first but it's free.

Without knowing the style you might prefer, this is the thinnest light bar I could find and it seemed like it might fit above the rear windwo nicely.
« Last Edit: Sunday,February 04, 2024, 02:33:42 PM by BDA »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,February 04, 2024, 07:50:12 PM »
Thanks for the answers and links BDA, I am on the I.O. group.  Finally got all electrical working with a different DB10.

Fotog, I tried #5 but apparently the third brake light unit I have does not like that hook up. The unit I have has running lights and turn signals also so when STOP is hooked to #5 both turn signals illuminate.  Has to do with the DB10 and stock wiring with TURN and STOP being a one wire affair. So it seems I can get STOP but not TURN or get TURN but not STOP.  I will keep plugging away, has to be a way.

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #4 on: Monday,February 05, 2024, 07:18:59 AM »
Sorry if that wasn't helpful.  I admit that am unfamiliar with third brake light units that also include (somehow) running lights and TURN function.  That 'signal' out of the brake switch should absolutely produce 12V whenever the brake pedal is depressed though.  It's just a switch, with battery voltage on the other side, after all.  What you have should have some instructions.  You know... if all else fails...  Or consider getting a simple strip light, without the additional functions.  That should work.

As an electrical engineer, this electrical stuff always seems easy,... until it's not, that is!

-V

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Monday,February 05, 2024, 03:42:12 PM »
A third brake that is still inches from the floor?  Why bother?  Get something that will “pop” and really be noticed: an FIA rain light.  Some have a brake light option and they are perfect when travelling in rain/fog.

Here’s one on my Seven:

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #7 on: Monday,February 05, 2024, 07:04:55 PM »
I think what I have is a golf cart do it all unit. Can't remember where I got it but it fits the edge of the thin roofline "frenched" in, which is why I used it. Did followed the inst as to hook up, but you are correct, I will probably be stuck with just the STOP light function. Rather have the STOP than the turn signals.
JB, the third light is 41" off the ground! LOL. 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,February 07, 2024, 12:50:43 PM »
Bumper height for most SUVs  ;-)

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #9 on: Friday,February 16, 2024, 05:06:28 PM »
here were my "twins" showing the 3rd brake light i installed on my JPS Europa.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #10 on: Friday,February 16, 2024, 06:54:42 PM »
Nice twins!

What light did you use Ted?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #11 on: Saturday,February 17, 2024, 05:25:18 PM »
it was some years ago.....found something narrow on Ebay.   Wired along top edge vents of rear roof line, down to brake light switch behind battery and tapped in.   Easy install.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook