Author Topic: S2 Rear view mirror  (Read 350 times)

Offline dakazman

S2 Rear view mirror
« on: Wednesday,January 31, 2024, 05:00:44 PM »
  What is a decent size rear view mirror that is windscreen mounted ?
 I found 2 in my box of parts a 12 “ and a  8”  but both have issues . So eBay  has plenty in all sizes , any recommendations?
Dakazman

Offline BDA

Re: S2 Rear view mirror
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,January 31, 2024, 05:25:34 PM »
I have the stock mirror (round "button" glued to the windshield with a small mirror arm screwed into the "button". The mirror is about 2" x 6" (my guess without measuring. I bought a convex clip on mirror (https://www.ebay.com/itm/301857492584) and I really don't need the passenger side mirror.

If you want to start from scratch, I might look for a day/night mirror about 11" or so long and you'd probably want it as narrow as you can get it so it doesn't obstruct your forward vision to the right. Something with a common attachment "button" (eg. GM type) would be nice so if you change your mind, you can just attach a new mirror without ungluing the "button" (which really isn't that big a deal but why have the extra hassle).

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,February 01, 2024, 09:27:43 AM »
My comment on the mirror is not about size, but location. 

When the mirror (original) was mounted to the windshield, when I raised my arm with my elbow on the arm rest, my fingers would hit the mirror and knock itoff the windshield.

I glued it to the windshield so many times, the windshield finally cracked.

So, when I restored the car, I epoxied a piece of aluminum to the roof so I could attach the mirror to the roof, which moved it up by about 5 inches.

You actually get a better rear view with the mirror raised and the windshield is still pristine.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,February 01, 2024, 12:51:16 PM »
I bought a cheap, wider factory style one off Ebay and it had a lot of vibration blurriness.  I ended up running the narrower stock mirror. My only advise is don't buy the cheapest and if you are glueing the attachment, get a black one. Mine is metal color and it looks bad from the outside.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,February 01, 2024, 01:52:40 PM »
I bought a cheap, wider factory style one off Ebay and it had a lot of vibration blurriness.  I ended up running the narrower stock mirror. My only advise is don't buy the cheapest and if you are glueing the attachment, get a black one. Mine is metal color and it looks bad from the outside.
  Pfreen,
   Thats exactly what I was thinking but changed my mind due to my headliner. I probably now will go the extra mile and mount as you suggested. I didn't like the feeling of cracking my windscreen the first time .

Clifton Thanks,
 That the route I was going .  Now, I'm think an off windscreen is best.
  Anyone have a dash mount? These camera mods and back-up systems seem interesting .
 I just want to drive it... :headbanger:
 Stayin' focused. :))

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,February 01, 2024, 03:16:12 PM »
Mine is glass mounted and I am happy with it but not the metal, I've seen black glass mounts since but too late and I don't want to try to pop it off.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,February 01, 2024, 03:50:08 PM »
Dribble some acetone on the interface between the part that's glued to the windshield and the windshield. It should come off.