Author Topic: Bumper Bolts, Headlight Trim Rings: MGB?  (Read 217 times)

Offline 2766R

Bumper Bolts, Headlight Trim Rings: MGB?
« on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »
Hi gang, I attempted to remove the bumpers on my '73 TCS.  I was able to loosen 4 (2 each bumper) without too much trouble; not so much on the other 4!  I actually had 3 good spares from a spare bumper I had stashed away.  I drilled though the nuts to loosen things up.  The problem is I had to reuse one of the drilled nuts to hold the last bolt.  See picture.  The bolt threads/nut size across the flats, I believe, are Whitworth, i.e. 1/4W, 22TPI, .525" across the flats.

Question:  what is a good source for Europa bumper bolts.  I saw what may be a candidate in the Moss catalog for the chrome bumpered MGB.

Also while I'm here, the head light trim rings seem to off an MGB (Moss).  Am I blowing smoke here?

I appreciate any and all comments!

Gerry

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: Bumper Bolts, Headlight Trim Rings: MGB?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 01:10:19 PM »
As numbers are from Ford Cortina and Anglia I would imagine bolts came from same source, though MGB probably used them too, as British cars seemed to use a lot of common parts at the time.

Trim rings on Europa headlights are held on by a spring clip, mounted to the headlight bucket. I believe MGB/mini  possibly used screws from below. I bought buckets from Ebay and swapped out the spring clips (bent tabs) with new, also from ebay.  You have to dent the bucket for the right hand headlight on any replacement to clear the original radiator (factory feature!).

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 05, 2023, 01:16:27 PM »
They should be available from the usual suspects (DBE, r.d., JAE, SJSportscars, Kelvedon, Lotus Supplies, etc.). I would buy the bolts from one of them. Moss has hundreds of thousands (millions?) of MGs, Triumphs, Jags, Austin Healeys, Sunbeams, etc. These guys have a few thousand old Lotus. (Lotus has decreed that the plural of Lotus is Lotus.)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 06, 2023, 02:04:09 PM »
If anyone needs trim rings, I have 3 pairs from cars I've disassembled; could stand polishing, but they're not rusted through and for a runner are good enough (with some elbow grease...amazing what Mother's Mag Polish will do if you put some work into it.).

Yours for price of postage.  I swapped out the ones on 3291R with a set I had rechromed, for what it's worth.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 06, 2023, 06:46:45 PM »
Sent you a pm Bryan
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2023, 05:33:04 AM »
Anglo Parts has a hardware and accessories catalog that lists all the different bolts and fittings by size.  I used it to find a cross reference for many Europa parts.  They list the bumper bolts by thread size and length.

Offline 2766R

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,November 07, 2023, 08:04:29 AM »
Bryan, sent you a pm.