Author Topic: replacing TC water pump belt  (Read 205 times)

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
replacing TC water pump belt
« on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 11:54:59 AM »
Mine is in poor condition and loose.  On a TC.

The question is, how to keep the pump pulley from turning while attempting to loosen the bolts that hold it on?  I can get a wrench on them, but the pump just turns.  I'm not feeling so creative about how to hold it.  I tried to get a vise-grip on the flange that would bear against a water pipe, but that didn't work.  Access a bit tough.  Only one hand at a time.

Suggestions appreciated!
Vince

Offline Blitzen

Re: replacing TC water pump belt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 12:28:37 PM »
Have you already removed the belt?  I found a little tension against the belt was sufficient to loosen/tighten the bolts.

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 12:32:05 PM »
I haven't removed the belt. I thought about trying to tension it somehow, but not sure how. I'll see if I can use a piece of small line to pull the two halves of the belt together between the pulleys and see if that provides enough tension.

Under the assumption that doesn't work though I'm happy to hear other suggestions :P

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 01:12:11 PM »
I haven't removed the belt. I thought about trying to tension it somehow, but not sure how. I'll see if I can use a piece of small line to pull the two halves of the belt together between the pulleys and see if that provides enough tension.

Under the assumption that doesn't work though I'm happy to hear other suggestions :P
I have always just pushed the two sides of the belt tighter with my hand, that has always worked. The 1/4UNF bolts should not be very tight.

If that does not work, cut the belt, put the new belt around the pulley hold it tight, and the new belt should grip the pulley enough to  loosen the 1/4UNC bolts.

If that fails, get a metal plate or a 7/16" spanner on one bolt, through the diagonally opposite bolt, hold the pulley via the spanner  (wrench) through two opposite bolts, and undo another bolt with a 7/16" spanner (wrench).

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 01:24:01 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I'll let you know how I make out.

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 01:32:46 PM »
Another question though:  do you think I have to remove both pulleys in order to replace the belt? In another thread Paul Freen described how he replaced the belt with both pulleys off, although I believe the original reason for removing the crankshaft pulley was to replace the oil seal.

Vince

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 01:38:40 PM »
Just remove the water pump pulley, put the new belt over the pulley, and then the pulley should locate on the pump. Use a cross headed screw driver to line up the holes of the pulley with the pump flange before screwing in the 4 x 1/4 UNC bolts with lock washers. .

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,August 15, 2023, 02:41:18 PM »
I got it.  Yes, you're right.  No need to remove the crankshaft pulley.  Just line up the holes.  New belt is definitely tighter.  I wonder if it will show in cooling performance?

I used a large screwdriver braced between the center of the pulley and one of the bolt heads to keep it from turning.  See the photo (with the new belt in place).  I did this for both the loosening and the tightening.  Raising the car really helps.  Another 4 inches (or use of shorter arms (I don't have them available)) would be huge, as it really helps to be able to extend your arms when working in this small space.

I'm glad I did it.  The old belt was pretty awful.

Vince