Author Topic: What do you bring in case you break down  (Read 320 times)

Offline califkid_66

What do you bring in case you break down
« on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 09:27:10 AM »
Well I guess I brought enough to go from mechanical to electric fuel pump !!
I reassembled my mechanical fuel fuel after the o rings had shrunk back to normal it went well for two days went to put fuel did not want to start
So I installed my electric fuel pump in the parking lot !!!
I used what I had so I can go back home
In the pictures you can see my temporary set up
Started right away
Met lots of people asking me about the lotus turned a negative into a positive experience had fun wrenching so basically having  fun with my lotus!!

Offline BDA

Re: What do you bring in case you break down
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 09:33:06 AM »
 :beerchug:

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 12:34:23 PM »
Always carry a spare electric fuel pump with fittings ready to plug in. Have had at least 3 go in 53 years of Europa ownership. Usually get some warning to at least get off the road, but sometimes it's really close.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 01:19:56 PM »
After breaking down a few times I bring a couple of tools a few parts like relays wires connectors electric tape I have points and condenser
I had my electric pump cause I knew I had an issue with the pump so I left prepared I didn’t expect the  mechanical pump to let go that fast
For now I had a bunch of tools and part on the floor passenger side but I want to organize a small toolbox with parts that get me back going if I break down

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 01:53:13 PM »
Tools and jack for spare wheel, phone and breakdown number only. Everything else is new, so if it breaks, I have done my best to prevent it.

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 02:23:37 PM »
HI:
A fully charged cell and the"golden" CAA membership(you get to say where the car gets towed on a flat bed).

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 03:38:22 PM »
This reminds me that I have partial vintage "Tool Roll" of unknown origin and a commercial sewing machine.
So I intend to make up a Lotus tool roll.
A few wrenches, grease gun (Since I have it), feeler gauge, pliers, screw drivers, plug wrench, brake bleed hose.
All as was common back in the day.
The voltage and continuity testers will be separated as they are not vintage.
Fuses, some wire and crimper, fuel filter and line, spare tire, brake fluid.

I've recently experienced the thrill of a car (Truck) suddenly dying miles from anywhere.
In that instance it was a virtually new NAPA mechanical fuel pump.
Out here in "Flyover country" cell service is a big maybe outside the cities.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 07:15:12 PM »
Always carry a spare electric fuel pump with fittings ready to plug in. Have had at least 3 go in 53 years of Europa ownership. Usually get some warning to at least get off the road, but sometimes it's really close.

Well, there ya go . . I'd never have thought a fuel pump would be a 'must have' spare.

A mate of mine had an ex works Alpine A110 rally car which had three fuel pumps. They were of the older SU diaphragm type so perhaps that explains it.

Facet pumps are cheap enough to have two units but that might need a re-think about how the balance pipe plumbing works if using two tanks.

Apart from a minimalist set of tools and basic wire and tape etc., the only spare I carried was a set of points in case the Lumenition went out. Points isn't something easily cobbled together without the correct part.

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,August 13, 2023, 07:33:34 PM »
I have a set of ratchets, sockets, wrenches - pretty much everything but a hammer and punches - to take the front or rear suspensions off the car or take the carbs off. All that fits in tool rolls that fit in the indentations at the front of the front trunk. The carpet in the front trunk covers it pretty well. For a flat, since there is nowhere to store my larger than stock tires, I have a tire repair kit and a can of slime and a battery operated air compressor. I've kept the stock jack.

All this talk about spare fuel pumps has me thinking I should add a fuel pump with necessary fittings, maybe a coil, a distributor cap, and a spare Pertronix. The fact is that I've had a Facet cube pump give up on me already. I've tried to figure out how to plumb a spare pump and wire it to be activated by a switch in the car, but I don't think there's room so I guess when I get it, I'll just make a box of spares and keep it in that.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #9 on: Monday,August 14, 2023, 05:17:39 AM »
I have a mini bag with electrical tape, a few fuses, 6 in 1 screwdriver, a few zip ties, 3/8-7/16 combo wrench and a 6" crescent wrench. I have a flat bed towing number in my phone. No room for a spare either.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #10 on: Monday,August 14, 2023, 05:46:17 AM »
In my spares kit, I have a spare electric fuel pump, spare electric water pump, some jumper wires with alligator clips, fuses, crimp connectors, spark plugs, fuel and water hose, hose clamps and a store bought small tool kit.

If my car had a distributor, I would have a spare set of points, rotor, and cap.

I drove my car from Florida to Log in Sturbridge Ma.  On the way, I joined up with 6 or 7 Lotuses in Pennsylvania.  The new expensive electric fuel pump I had just installed before the trip intermittently failed along the side of the road, much to the chagrin of the 7 car caravan.  It would start up after 10 minutes and worked fine.  Anyway, I bought a new fuel pump at an auto parts store and installed it, and never had another problem.
So, thinking about what could keep your car running is time and money well spent.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #11 on: Monday,August 14, 2023, 03:20:27 PM »
After recommissioning, I keep within a long tow of home for the first few trips.  Say no more than two hours out.  I then work through all the inevitable niggles.  I only bring a minimum tool kit: flat repair, specific wrenches for specific jobs and a few generic tools.  That’s about it.  There’s always a parts store around somewhere so generic parts like belts and fuel pumps I can pick up there.  Then I drive and drive and drive.  You soon know what else you might need to bring.