Author Topic: Banks Door Hinge  (Read 401 times)

Offline cazman

Banks Door Hinge
« on: Thursday,April 28, 2022, 11:32:34 AM »
My door was sagging greatly and I got the car with the Banks Door Hinges already installed. After some fiddling, I found that the complete hinge was slipping in the door hole that holds the hinge. From what I can tell, Banks does not supply abrasive washers (I may be wrong on that) and the abrasive washers are what keeps the hinge in place within a hole that is larger than the hinge diameter. I have read here that people use sandpaper to make an abrasive washer. For some reason, on my door, this was not cutting it.

So, I 3D printed a spacer to fill in the slack. In my case, I offset the hole to give me the adjustment I wanted, but they could be printed with the hole centered. Just thought I would share this solution.
1973 Europa TCS

Offline BDA

Re: Banks Door Hinge
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 28, 2022, 12:11:15 PM »
The Banks hinges don't need abrasive washers. The clamping from the nut is enough to hold the hinges steady in the holes.

Your solution is very clever. Did you chose an offset at random or was there some way you could measure the offset you needed - I guess there are four chances for your offset to be correct! How is the alignment now? Are you happy with it?

I have Banks hinges too. My doors are pretty close - about 1/4" out on the trailing edge. It is such a long and tedious process for me (does anybody know any tricks?), I'm not jumping at the chance to get them better. i figure, my chances of making it worse is probably just as good as better. Now if I had a small child who could tighten the hinges while the door was shut and aligned... Maybe somebody more clever than I can come up with a setup that has a screw adjuster in two dimensions...

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 28, 2022, 12:18:27 PM »
Nice! Let us know how it works out!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 28, 2022, 01:26:18 PM »
I have Banks hinges and I use friction washers I made myself.  Works great, no issues.

Offline cazman

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 28, 2022, 02:46:53 PM »
I do not know why, but this driver door would not hold with normal pressure or abrasive washers.

I figure if I printed one offset that gives me two positions far in and far out. Another printed with the hole centered, gives another position.

I got lucky with the 1st offset.

It seems be be aligned perfectly now.
1973 Europa TCS

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,April 28, 2022, 02:50:59 PM »
Good job! And very lucky!!!  :beerchug:

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #6 on: Monday,May 02, 2022, 05:04:13 PM »
Nice!