Author Topic: Changing Camshafts ? First buy a sump gasket…  (Read 897 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Changing Camshafts ? First buy a sump gasket…
« on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 12:14:55 AM »
Ok, now I’ve got your attention I suppose you’re wondering why on earth changing camshafts on a Twin Cam engine would need a sump gasket ?  It's a sorry tale so read on my friends…..

This all started when I decided a couple of years ago that I would like to have a touch more power in the car. Nothing dramatic, something like Lotus sprint cams with an improved exhaust system and matching carburettor settings would do fine. So with that plan in mind I did the easy job and made up a matched 4-2-1 header system in anticipation.

Then there was a relapse into apathy followed eventually with a book to learn a bit about cams and how they worked.   Even after reading it twice I’m still no brighter, so when some Vegantune cams came up on Ebay I decided to follow someone else’s path and bought them.

As an aside the seller, another Europa owner, was very helpful and passed on quite a lot of useful background info which made the transition that much easier. Sometimes Ebay really does work well when you deal with good people !

For reference, the cams are reground to a Vegantune VJ5 profile which seems to be a slight improvement on the Lotus sprint profile.  It’s purely my supposition but from what I can read I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a “standard” profile offered by many tuners as a modest boost for TC BV/Sprint owners.  These particular regrinds were done some time ago by Twincam Techniques and stamped "TT36" but when you think about it anyone with a machine shop can re-create a known profile.

As you can see from the first image, the VJ5 profile has a faster opening/closing ramp with longer time at full lift. I think (note “think) it’s fractionally higher but the main benefit I can see comes from the open/close ramps and fully open period.  It reminds me very much of the sprint cams I have in the Elan and I’m hoping for similar performance.

So let’s get started. It’s only a few nuts and bolts, we’ll have this lot sorted, back and running before lunchtime.

Set engine to TDC, remove old cams & replace with new ones. This is made even easier because the previous owner had used an offset dowel which, for the first time in over 40yrs of Lotus ownership, has given me timing sprockets which line up exactly as they look in the manual. Yep, not a millimetre out of place, it’s clearly magic !

The next step is slightly more tricky, what carb settings should I use ? It will start and run on the OEM 30mm chokes/jets of the standard TC but surely there’s more to be had ? From info passed on by the seller there were comments from Ed Winter that VJ5 profiles work well with OEM B/V Sprint settings and from research the QED360 cam profile uses only a slight variation from the same settings.

This journey isn’t yet complete because I’ve only messed around with it but the starting point has been the 33mm chokes of the TCS B/V Europa and fractionally richer main jets; it may (probably will) change when I get the AFR meter rigged up properly.

And here is where it all falls apart…….

I pay more attention to the valve clearances and decide to get them “spot on”. Much tinkering goes on, several goes until I finally shuffle my collection of shim stock around, buy a few new shims and end up with everything looking good. I replace the cam cover without sealant in case it needs to come off again and fire up the engine expecting for a  powerful roar….

Well, it did fire up and run, but then it stopped. No warning, spluttering or coughing, just “nope, not going”.   I try the starter again and it just clunks. Ah well, it has been standing around a while, the battery must need charging.  Shove it on charge and…  er….   it’s pretty much fully charged ???  Check earths and other connections – all good. Try it again and...

“clunk, clunk – I’ve told you before, I’m not starting”.

Remove cam cover and…..hey, that chain looks tight, so much so it’s obviously wrong - surely I didn’t adjust it that tightly ?

Slacken the adjustment screw, (which takes far too much effort to move) but the chain is still rock solid and more like a steel bar than a chain. Oh dear…..   this looks like bad news.

USB borescope out, poke it around and it’s either my eyes or that chain tensioner looks bent.  Remove cam sprockets to get rid of that chain tension and yep, it’s bent. Fortunately I had a spare in the box so I had something to work with and managed to remove & straighten the brass arm.

But why ? And more importantly, how ?

The answer is in the second image, the humble half moon plugs used in the front cover and rear of the head. At that point I realised one was missing, there's no sign of the AWOL plug in the front cover or on the floor under the engine so it must be in the sump, and this is where the sump gasket comes in !

As you can see from the second image, I have gone in for some customisation and decoration of my own with some nifty patterns on the plug.

What seems to have happened is that when I replaced the cam cover for the last time I must have dislodged one of the plugs and with double bad luck not only did it fall inside but also on the tensioner side.  For those familiar with the TC engine that’s some achievement because there’s very little clearance between the bolt holding the cam sprocket in place and that front half moon plug. In fact I’d guess it’s not much more than the width of the plug.

Running the engine moved it until it managed to get itself trapped between the either the jackshaft or tensioner sprockets and because I tend to run the chain tight anyway, there simply wasn’t enough space for it to fit.

So the little rubber plug got peevish and bent the tensioner arm, locking the engine at the same time.

Crazy though it sounds I was actually relieved when I found it because at least I had an answer as to why the engine locked up. And more importantly the only cost was a £2 plug and not something like a broken camshaft.   So all ended happily ever after…..

except it didn’t.

Replacing the sump was easy enough and looking up at the water pump belt I thought “heck, I might as well replace that while I’m down here.”

And that was when I realised there’s a touch of play in the water pump bearings. Not enough to leak, but enough to feel when rotating the pump.  Because by then it was all back together I thought I’d run the engine for a while but heck, now I can hear it grumbling...…        grrrrr……   

to be continued……..
« Last Edit: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 12:19:01 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline lotusfanatic

Re: Changing Camshafts ? First buy a sump gasket…
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 03:40:33 AM »
 :WTF:

that's bad luck....

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 05:21:38 AM »
Wow! A perfect example of Murphy's Law. Sorry to hear of your woes, though great telling of the events. Will you be pulling the engine, or replacing in situ?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 05:26:39 AM »
I disagree, that's incredibly good luck.  It could have easily ended up with bent valves!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 09:22:07 AM »
Will you be pulling the engine, or replacing in situ?
To fix that problem I only dropped the sump and put it back together, it wasn't a long job in the end. Even after noting the wear in the water pump, because the engine was timed & full of oil I decided to run it and see what happened in the hope that I'd at least get a few more weeks driving before the "season" ended over here. 

The trouble was that after setting up the carbs and getting it running smoothly again I kept hearing an occasional grumble at tick over from the pump bearing.  Not noticeable from inside the car but all this work is in the engine bay and sadly I have a vivid imagination.

I checked my records and the last pump change was Feb 1990 and I reckon the belt was the same age, so I can't really complain. And because I've just had most of it in pieces, everything is clean so an ideal time to pull it to pieces again !

Yesterday the head/sump came off, front cover this morning and I'm currently cleaning everything up for pressing in the new bearing/impellor.  Great service from Burtons and QED yet again, I should have it rolling by the weekend. (at which point it will no doubt rain/hail./snow) 

Contrary to the workshop manual you don't need to remove the engine/gearbox to do the pump and I've got the photos to prove it !  I might do that post in the tech section as it's a decent time saving method, especially if you don't have the space or ability to remove the engine/gearbox as a single lump.

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
Can you share any info on the 40DCOE settings, as I am about to go down the path of setting up lots of 40DCOEs and I could do with a starting point.

Thanks,

Alex,  just around the corner in Norfolk

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »
Hi Alex,

The information I had from Neil, the seller, was that he thought when the cams were first fitted he had retained the 30mm chokes/jets of the standard TC but he wasn't sure. That sort of makes sense, if the A/F ratios are correct for a 30mm choke then the only problem might be that it runs out of steam at higher revs so I could see it happening.

Neil copied me some correspondence from Ed Winter and as you probably know, Ed was famous for his work with TC head overhauls. He liked Vegantune cams and for his upgrades he selected the VJ5 instead of the Sprint cams but retained the DCOE/DHLA 40's with the standard 33mm chokes & jetting of the B/V cars.

Prior to buying these I was all set to get some spare cams reprofiled by QED to their QED360 profile.  Both the VJ5/QED360 are apparently "as much as you can do without machining" and both seem to go for the 135-140bhp range (Neil had his dynoed at 143).  QED use DCOE/DHLA 40's with 33mm chokes & the same emulsion tubes (7772-5) as the UK B/V cars but with slightly different main jets (135 vs 120) and main air correct jets (150 vs 130).

I've gone for the QED settings with the knowledge that if they don't suit these cams then I can fall back on the B/V settings for very little extra outlay. Due to the water pump I've not really driven the car any real mileage but from what I've seen I'm hopeful. Idle circuits look smooth, random occasional spitting when accelerating a cold engine but that seems to have gone at 80-85C on the dial.

In conclusion, it's too early to say "this works" so I'm just sharing where I am and the thought processes behind it. I've got an AFR meter to rig up which might give a few more clues, but that's for a later date.

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Brian, not only were you lucky not to bend any valves but if nothing had gone wrong, you wouldn’t know to even look at your water pump, but now you’re ahead of your water pump failing!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 02:26:29 PM »
Brian, please excuse my ignorance, but what is referred to as a B/V car? I'm sure I should be able to work this out, but nothing is coming to me. I'm sure I'll slap myself when the answer is revealed.

I am quite in the dark when it comes to understanding the finer points (any points, really) of the selection and tuning of Weber and Weber type carbs, but will be moving in that direction eventually. I have no personal experience with them, but I try to pay attention whenever they are being discussed, hoping to pick up a scrap of wisdom here and there.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 02:41:34 PM »
Big Valve?  Though it could so easily have been Bent Valve!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 10:53:22 PM »
Big Valve?  Though it could so easily have been Bent Valve!

:)

Trevor, as above, Big Valve, the common PR term that Lotus used when they launched the engine in the Elan Sprint because they played up the slightly larger valves even though it was mostly the cams providing the power increase. 

If you are interested in selection/tuning of this type of carb then I would recommend Des Hamil's book on the subject. Apart from nice colour pictures he also goes into some depth about selection of chokes, jets, etc and then how to fine tune the combinations. Lots of info that I've not seen gathered together in one place before and even though it's a general work and not Lotus specific, it's well worth a place on the bookshelf.  I'm also on Keith Frank's Sidedraft group (groups.io) but I'll admit most of what they talk about on modifying the main tubes goes right over my head.

I posted this tale mostly to show just how easy it is for something to go wrong when you don't pay attention to detail. Cam cover replacements are something I've been doing ever since the Elan in the mid 70s so I have no excuse of being "new" to the job, but I still got it wrong.

As an epilogue on  this tale,  I think I've figured out why the plug went walk-about, and yet again it's user error. The cork gaskets work well enough but every time I end up scraping the surfaces to fit a new one so this time I thought I'd try one cut from nitrile rubber. Mainly on the basis that every modern car I've worked on uses rubber and they don't leak at all. So I cut one from a sheet of nitrile,  only the difference with this replacement was that I reversed my normal methods.

Normally I fit the plugs with a dab of sealant and then stick the cork gasket on the head, again with sealant and leave the cover loosely weighing it whilst it sets. Remove cover, trim off any excess sealant and then it goes on properly. The key is that the cork is over the plugs and holds everything in place. This time, because I'd only roughly cut the gasket I glued it to the cover and then trimmed off the excess rubber once it was firmly stuck in place.   When fitting in anger, the plugs no longer had the added protection of the cork and one of them wasn't held firmly enough....   just how I managed to knock it out I still can't see but clearly I did. 

When it goes back together again, the gasket is being stuck to the head first !

Brian
« Last Edit: Thursday,October 22, 2020, 11:05:51 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #11 on: Friday,October 23, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »
Ah Yes, Big Valve. I knew it would seem obvious once I heard it.

Many thanks Brian for the Des Hammill book suggestion. I just had a quick look on google and it looks like just what I need. I have gleaned some useful information on camshaft selection from this post as well, reinforcing some previous considerations of the Vegantune cams. I am very interested to hear your impression of them once things are up and sorted. Cheers.

Trevor