Author Topic: TC Stromberg Running Rich  (Read 315 times)

Offline surypap3

TC Stromberg Running Rich
« on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 10:18:01 AM »
So still going thru my get-her-running list but making good progress thanks to this forum. The TC with Strombergs is rich at idle. Maybe this is good for the overall engine RPM range. Just don't know. My recall is that the needle can be adjusted by removing the cap/damper and reaching in with an allen wrench to turn the needle up or down as needed. Is that correct, and is there any risk to leaning it out. Thx

Offline E Paul

Re: TC Stromberg Running Rich
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »
That is the method on the SU carbs. At least on the Z-S I had, the jets were pressed in and not adjustable. Maybe others have different versions. Completely worn out at 30K miles.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »
Early emissions Strombergs had non-adjustable needles.  This is what the Lotus TCs came with.  Triumph TR6s, 7s and 8s had adjustable needles.  You can fit the "piston" from an adjustable carb to the Lotus ones.  With a bit of tinkering you can fit the Euro Lotus Stromberg needles to an adjustable needle holder.

The needle is spring loaded so it constantly rubs against the jet.  As the needle and jet wear, it keeps getting richer, especially at idle.  Might be time for a major overhaul.

HOWEVER

Did you check your valve clearances?  All carbs, but especially CV carbs, run very poorly with tight valves.

More info on Stromberg carb overhaul can be found here:

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3619.msg37946#msg37946

Offline surypap3

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 12:27:40 PM »
I will have to look. My memory is trying to tell me that when I cleaned up the carbs the needles were adjustables.