Author Topic: Europa TC Spd Shift Linkage Alignment  (Read 1069 times)

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: Europa TC Spd Shift Linkage Alignment
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
BDA.  I haven't checked where the detent rests when in the gears.

I have the brass top hats, I just haven't fitted them yet,  :-[ I'm pretty sure the plastic ones have disappeared.

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »
It might be useful to check on that and since you don't have your cover installed, it should be easy!  :)

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 10:57:57 PM »
It would be if my garage was clear and it wasn't backed up to within a few inches of the back wall :)

Offline surypap3

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,October 10, 2020, 09:14:13 AM »
I think I found the issue. When connecting the shifter to the linkage, one for the sleeves/bushings dropped and the whole thing is wiggling at the shifter. Taking a breaking but will update when I reassemble. Thanks

Offline royaledriver

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 12:40:35 PM »
In my Europa, I pulled the 4-spd and installed an NG3 5-spd.  I had to build my own shift linkage and after several redesigns, have
a great shift linkage.  When I went trough the original linkage I found the shift lever rotating with a spherical bearing was great, just needed grease.  Moving rearward, the swinging center support caused quite a bit of drag when shifting. I cut the height of the pivot tube
enough to slide a ball bearing in, lying flat.  No more drag!  The real problem was the rear support that had BIG drag.  My original designed used a 1" spherical bearing with the 1" shift tube sliding through it.  The Break Through was replacing it with a LINEAR BEARING
also 1" and $24.  My linkage is now so smooth that it feels as though the trans were directly under the shift lever.  fabricating all the bits
required welding and fitting, but once done, was well worth the work.  While I created a completely unique rear shift-arm, I believe that
the original linkage would be greatly improve is a rear-support linear bearing braced the shift tube just in front of the curved end.
If you like fabrication or have a bud who welds, you could also improve your shifting.   I'm also open to questions. Terry

Offline surypap3

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 10:02:12 PM »
I think I found the issue. When connecting the shifter to the linkage, one for the sleeves/bushings dropped and the whole thing is wiggling at the shifter. Taking a breaking but will update when I reassemble. Thanks

I did put the shifter back in, this time making sure I had both nylon bushings in place. Made a world of difference. Thank you all!

Offline surypap3

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,October 17, 2020, 10:05:12 PM »
In my Europa, I pulled the 4-spd and installed an NG3 5-spd.  I had to build my own shift linkage and after several redesigns, have
a great shift linkage.  When I went trough the original linkage I found the shift lever rotating with a spherical bearing was great, just needed grease.  Moving rearward, the swinging center support caused quite a bit of drag when shifting. I cut the height of the pivot tube
enough to slide a ball bearing in, lying flat.  No more drag!  The real problem was the rear support that had BIG drag.  My original designed used a 1" spherical bearing with the 1" shift tube sliding through it.  The Break Through was replacing it with a LINEAR BEARING
also 1" and $24.  My linkage is now so smooth that it feels as though the trans were directly under the shift lever.  fabricating all the bits
required welding and fitting, but once done, was well worth the work.  While I created a completely unique rear shift-arm, I believe that
the original linkage would be greatly improve is a rear-support linear bearing braced the shift tube just in front of the curved end.
If you like fabrication or have a bud who welds, you could also improve your shifting.   I'm also open to questions. Terry
I will have to remember this if I use an NG3 on my other project car. Lots of thought went into your work!

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #22 on: Monday,October 19, 2020, 06:50:47 AM »
Im not sure if this is changing the subject - my gear selection pattern for 352 gearbox is not 90 degrees. More like the diagram below. Is this normal?? Incidentally there was no bush at the bottom of the gear lever when I dismantled it. Gearbox and linkage still removed.

Steve

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Monday,October 19, 2020, 07:24:12 AM »
There needs to be those "hat" bushings. It's possible that is the cause of your "tilted" pattern.

My second gear feels like it is a bit to the left of straight down from 1st. I have to use a slight pressure to the left while I drop into second. I think it may be because of my seating position but I'm not sure. My linkage is different from yours though.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #24 on: Monday,October 19, 2020, 11:09:17 AM »
These are the sjs bushes I haven't fitted yet https://www.sjsportscars.com/parts-and-accessories/SJ535.htm

You should have two of these (or the plastic equivalent Lotus fitted) at the bottom of the gear lever where it  joins the front of the first linkage section. Without them you can rotate the gear lever slightly on the bolt. On my 5 speed while selecting 5th the lever is pushed back to the left, I suspect because that is the shape of the bearing the lever pivots on. I've only driven about 150 miles in it, and it has never had the bushes fitted. I still have lots to do.....

Offline surypap3

« Reply #25 on: Monday,October 19, 2020, 02:11:08 PM »
Those bushings look nice. Probably better than plastic!