Author Topic: Europa TC Spd Shift Linkage Alignment  (Read 1068 times)

Offline surypap3

Europa TC Spd Shift Linkage Alignment
« on: Monday,October 05, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
Folks, Struggling with my shifter and linkage alignment. In the car, the shifter H pattern is biased to the right. Nothing along the linkage seems lose or worn. At the detent ball, I noticed something I never saw before. The linkage in the neutral gate pushes the detent ball in for 5th and reverse as it should, but when moving the shifter/linkage to the left like going to 1st or 2nd, it is able to push past 1st and 2nd to engage the detent-in to the left of 1st and second (ie, shifter goes past 1st and second gates further leftward). I never felt that or recall seeing that before. Thoughts?

Offline BDA

Re: Europa TC Spd Shift Linkage Alignment
« Reply #1 on: Monday,October 05, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
I don't have that linkage anymore and I've never felt that I fully understood it but it sounds like the rear link might be improperly "clocked" with the front link. In other words, the rear link is rotated too far with respect to the front link.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #2 on: Monday,October 05, 2020, 09:43:11 AM »
If it's a 365 5 speed (TC and Special) I thought one side is for 5th ( to the right of 3/4 at the lever) and the other side does reverse (to the left of 1/2 at the lever).

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 03:36:56 AM »
So are you saying that when  1st or 2nd gear is engaged you can move the lever further left against the detent and not limited by the selector gate?
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline surypap3

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 06:29:32 AM »
So are you saying that when  1st or 2nd gear is engaged you can move the lever further left against the detent and not limited by the selector gate?
Actually I have not tried that. When moving shifter left in neutral toward 1st and 2nd gates, I can pass beyond the 1st and second gates at which point the detent ball gets pushed in. The two pictures show the extreme of left to right of neutral movement. One picture is aligned for 5th and reverse, the other is beyond 1st and 2nd. Almost like a clocking issue that could be fixed by the front shift link in a counterclockwise direction as BDA suggested. The reason I have not tried that is because the link is (roll) pinned in position, and the pattern has always been fine until I just replaced a motor mount.

Offline surypap3

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 06:32:01 AM »
If it's a 365 5 speed (TC and Special) I thought one side is for 5th ( to the right of 3/4 at the lever) and the other side does reverse (to the left of 1/2 at the lever).
5th and reverse are accessible in one detent position. shifter push right and forward for 5th and shifter pushed right and back for reverse.

Offline surypap3

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 06:36:03 AM »
I guess a basic questions is this: Should the detent ball be depressed only for 5th and reverse and not depressed for any other gear?

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 07:12:15 AM »
Yes. The detention mechanism is to keep you from getting into reverse accidentally and to require effort to get into fifth (when I had my 365, I considered altering the ears of the detention mechanism so less effort would be required for fifth).

Since the rear linkage is pinned, maybe you can rotate the front in relation to the rear?

I hope you have the plastic box that covers the mechanism. If not, I think r.d. has them.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 07:14:19 AM by BDA »

Offline surypap3

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »
Both of my links (front and rear) are pinned. But if rotation is what I need to do, I can figure that out. What is the plastic box you are referring to? Also, do you agree when set up properly, I should be engaging the Detent for only 5th and rev, and NOT passing 1st and 2nd? Or perhaps that is what the detent is for on 1st and 2nd (ie, resistance to guide to 1st and 2nd selection if that makes sense)

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 08:48:53 AM »
Yes. The detent is for reverse and fifth. You shouldn't be going through the detent. The resistance is only for reverse and fifty. Since they are both pinned, that doesn't seem like your problem. Also, that couldn't be something that changed when you fixed your motor mount problem. Here's the appropriate section of the workshop manual. Maybe something will pop out at you. http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcwork/f/tcf.pdf

Can we rule out that the linkage became bent? Is there any distress to the linkage that might have been caused by your bad motor mount?

I've attached r.d.'s picture of the box I referred to.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »
Just to be clear, because it sounds like your reverse is opposite 5th. It sounds like you don't have a standard 5 speed.

On the standard Special 365 gearbox reverse is left and down from 1/2 (past a detent) and 5th is right and up from 3/4 (past a detent). I think that would mean the detent on one side you can see does reverse and on the other does 5th, though I haven't checked.

The plastic box covers the detent mechanism on the back of the gearbox, mine is missing but I've bought a replacement which I haven't fitted yet.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 10:27:02 AM by SilverBeast »

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
I may have confused some things with regards to the detents. My memory was that the detent was compressed by the ears on the cam when it was in R and 5. There are dozens of examples of my memory being faulty on this forum.

SilverBeast, have you confirmed that R and 5 are engaged past the detent (the detent ball is pushed into the spring on the way into the gear and then back out when the gear is actually engages)? If so, you have exposed the weakness of my memory. I'm not challenging you, I just want to make sure the correct information is used.

Offline surypap3

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 11:38:58 AM »
The ujoint attachment at the input to the transmission is sloppy. You can drive a truck thru it. So I reclamped it favoring the shifter position more to the left. That feels normal but I am left with any slop at the transmission transitioning to a lot of wiggle at the shifter. So say I am in the car and select 1st gear, while in 1st gear, I can wiggle the shifter left and right substantially. Help there with ideas would be great.

As for the reverse gate, having had the car off road so long, I had it stuck in my mind that reverse was back from fifth. It is actually left of 1/2 and back as mentioned by SilverBeast.

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
The experience of shifting gears in a Europa is dependent on getting the slop out of every joint. You should test every u-joint and the rod end where the two shift links join by the bell housing. One of the more problematic joints is at the bottom of the shift lever. There are two nylon top-hat shaped washers that should be there with the help of a shoulder bolt. You can get replacements for them from Dave Bean or r.d. enterprises. You can get brass versions from SJ Sports Cars in the UK. I don't know that they aren't also available from either Bean or r.d. I'm betting that's at least part of your problem.

Offline surypap3

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,October 06, 2020, 01:34:12 PM »
I am going to start at the shifter and work my way back.