Author Topic: Gearbox 365 rear casting required  (Read 560 times)

Offline Lotsof 3146 R

Gearbox 365 rear casting required
« on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 08:04:26 AM »
At some point the gear selector has taken a bump and the casting has a small crack. And leaks oil from the gear selector.
Does anybody have a spare rear gearbox casting for a LHD Federal Lotus Europa Special 5 speed 365 gearbox?
I have read the gearbox was different on federal car. Can anyone confirm this?
Or know where I might find one ?
Or have any suggestion as to how to repair.?
Many Thanks

Offline BDA

Re: Gearbox 365 rear casting required
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 08:41:31 AM »
The 365 is a rare bird in that it is 4 speed that was modified by Lotus to become a 5 speed. Since the fifth gear is added under the end cover, I would expect that the end cover is special Lotus piece and so along with the fifth gear and synchro, would be very difficult to find.

From your description, yous is probably easily fixed. I backed into something, probably a curb, in mine cracking my end cover. I took it to a motorcycle shop that fixed it easily. Any good shop that can weld aluminum and do machining (in case it's necessary) should be able to fix it for you

To your questions, as far as I know, all 5 speed Europas from Lotus have the 365. It is common for owners to use the Renault NG3 five speed tranny since they are newer and general Renault manufacture. There are other tranny swaps that are less popular too.

Offline Lotsof 3146 R

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 10:37:56 AM »
Thank you, always amazed how quick and helpful this group is.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 10:57:40 AM »
It doesn't seem that you need it but if you consider an NG3 swap, I forgot to mention that it will require a different shift linkage. I got my tranny kit from Richard at Europa Engineering. There are also plans for cable shifters out there that sound really nice.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 12:15:43 PM »
I also cracked the rear housing on my 365 by going over a too steep driveway.  I had it welded and you would never be able to tell.

The only place I know that might have a rear housing is Sports Car World in Dallas.  Their number is (972) 620-7285

Offline Lotsof 3146 R

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 12:21:06 PM »
Again thanks for the info. Can I remove the casting without taking the gearbox out?

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »
Boy, I'm pretty sure you can but it's been so many years since I did it, I'm not positive. It's certainly worth a try. You may have trouble with the rear tranny mount. If you can take the rear mount off, you might have a shot at it.  With the car on stands, you can raise or lower the rear of the tranny to get the end cover off. Try not to go too far or any further than you have to since you're twisting the motor mounts.

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 02:00:17 PM »
Hi BDA & Lotsof,

The 365 is a 5 speed, Renault product.  The only mod that Lotus did was to swap out the 5th gear, made by Hewland and so marked, and syncro/drum to match such that it would be an 'overdrive' rather than a sequential ratio.  The normal, French, 365 variant had a 0.93 fifth gear ratio.  This mod, I think, was to satisfy Federal requests for fuel savings, and help with marketing.  It was during the 'fuel crisis' after all....lol

The rear case can be manipulated off with the trans in place, well, kind of in place since you have to lower it all to clear the rear hoop.  IIRC, you remove the upper two motor mount bolts, and loosen the lower ones, and you may have to remove the lower radiator hose to permit enough rotation to clear the rear hoop.  Be aware of any other items that may restrict movement, like the upper radiator hose, wiring, etc.   One must be very cautious however, when doing this or you will be disassembling the whole box.  There is a ball bearing which acts as a detent for 5th gear which can fall into the forward case if you do not select 4th gear, and keep it selected, as you remove the case.  Instructions are in the manual for more detail.  The shifter shaft has to be manipulated during this process also, so the case is permitted to move aft.  It is a tedious task, and now in hindsight, I remove the whole transmission if I need access.  If the rear case is removed, make sure you replace the shift rod bush, and seal since they are a high wear item.  If the crack is minor, by all means weld it, but be cautious of any warping and coat the weld on the inside with a sealer to prevent the weld from weeping trans oil.  Any warping of the case can cause misalignment of the shift rods, not to mention gasket leakage. 

Good luck,

Jerry Rude
4005R
« Last Edit: Saturday,September 12, 2020, 02:27:25 PM by Lotuswins »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,September 13, 2020, 08:46:02 AM »
Regarding casting repair, have you considered any of the many verities of Aluminum brazing rod that are out there? I'm fascinated with the stuff and have been using it for lots of round-the-house repairs. (Nothing on the car so far.) I saw a youtube vid where someone did a nice repair on a casting by first heating the casting to near-temp on a gas grill to keep the heat uniform.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,September 15, 2020, 12:59:12 PM »
You need to talk to Joji Tokumoto.  He sold me a working 365 in trade for my destroyed 365 and money.  He likely has the rear casing you need that is likely in perfect condition.  Only the inner bearings and gears were ruined in my case.  He frequents this site.