Author Topic: Europa S1 in Germany  (Read 2719 times)

Offline jbcollier

Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #15 on: Friday,May 11, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »
An early S2 frame is easily modified to S1 specs.  Later S2 frames only marginally more difficult.  They all rotted because water naturally collects between the sub-frame and the body's under tray only present on S1s.  The rear tires fling the water forward and it seeps in.  Time does the rest.  Once repaired, regular applications of a light, non-hardening rust treatment should keep things in good shape.

Offline BobW

Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,May 15, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
That's a great looking starting point for a restoration on a car that looks close to original equipment. Lovely to see your photos and to know that work will be started. The current colour looks like Carnival Red to me too, my favourite choice for the Europa  ;D

Offline Nockenwelle

Re: Europa S1 in Germany
« Reply #17 on: Sunday,August 02, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
Although my Europa S1 project is currently on hold I pick up missing parts from time to time when I stumble across them. The right wing mirror went missing a long time ago. On the left side a Talbot mirror is mounted.

During the fifties and sixties most of the sports cars were delivered by the factories without external mirrors. It was up to the customer or dealer to mount an aftermarket mirror. One well known manufacturer of such mirrors was Talbot in Berlin. A few cars were even equipped with Talbot mirrors from new such as Mercedes 300 SL or some Porsches.

About a year ago one such mirror popped up on Ebay which I bought. I was very disappointed when I discovered that it was bigger than the exiting one on my car.

The seller agreed to return the mirror. It turned out that he is a Talbot mirror collector and that the smaller version of the Talbot 300 (called 'Junior') is very rare. He promised to to try to find one for me.

Now some weeks ago he contacted me again that he had found one including a set of blue tinted glasses. I did not hesitate to buy the mirror as I've only found other offers on the net for ridiculous money. On  the picture he sent me I noticd a difference in the manufacturer stamping mark. Mine showed 'TALBOT & Co - BERLIN -' but the new one read 'talbot + Co - W-Berlin -'

The seller assured that the mirrors are absolutely identical except that the mirror on my car was manufactured before the Berlin wall was put up. The one he was offering was built after it as indicated by the 'W(est)'-prefixed Berlin. So my car had been equipped with pre-1962 mirrors when it was sold new by B.M.C.D. in California in 1967.

To mount the mirror I just has to reopen the lazily plastered holes. I'm quite happy with the result.

Klaus

« Last Edit: Sunday,August 02, 2020, 11:43:04 PM by Nockenwelle »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,August 02, 2020, 07:32:55 PM »
That's a great story, Klaus.
Perhaps the 'W(est)' mirror should go on the left?  :))

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Monday,August 03, 2020, 06:05:22 AM »
Nice mirrors and nice story! They look great on the car!  :beerchug:

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #20 on: Monday,August 03, 2020, 12:15:50 PM »
Perhaps the 'W(est)' mirror should go on the left?  :))
I will think about that  ;D ;D