Author Topic: tips on window gaskets please  (Read 254 times)

Offline aspares

tips on window gaskets please
« on: Saturday,July 04, 2020, 02:09:55 PM »
I am installing new window gaskets on the front vent windows (not really vent windows). I have the all the other windows installed.
The new gaskets seem a bit large bit I think they are correct as I did get them from RD Ent.
Does anyone have any tips on getting them to fit, any sealant required?
Thanks for any advice,
Martin

Offline dakazman

Re: tips on window gaskets please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,July 04, 2020, 05:31:20 PM »
  It took me 2 months back where I Cut the seals and have been waiting for the sealant we use on aircraft rubber AC -251 B2 black it’s been on backorder. Finally shipped yesterday.
See some of my pics page 66 on 0453 reassembly in garage section. Do a search on window installing someone just did several and posted a excellent how to.
Dakazman   Found it! :beerchug:

4129 posted this!

ve just finished re-assembling my 7th and 8th doors, so as much for my future use, as anyone else's, here is the order I did it.

1) Fit Banks brass hinges finger tight into door shell. Make sure they fit into the holes top and bottom in the body first, use a 12.5mm drill to remove excess paint etc.

2) Fit door into shell, use a trolley jack packed with 4x2 to hold end of door up while screwing in the hinges top and bottom into bobbins. Make sure the door doesn't hit the shell hinge end when closing. Tighten hinges when fitting correctly using specially adapted spanners to fit top and bottom. Undo 1/2" lugs top and bottom. Remove door and tighten brass nuts as tight as possible not moving the outer ring two flats so they can be reached with the thin spanner when fitted to the car.

3) Fit the door lock. Use the metal inside plate to make sure the hole is big enough. Take care not to damage door paint when filing the lock hole to shape (3 doors scratched to date).

4) Fit the door handle with penny washer inside of the thin end. Make sure the stud is in the handle at the thumb push end, as it is a bitch to locate it from the inside.

5) Fit the end lock with the two short rods attached  and clips located on those rods. Use big washers to spread inside load. File 1 washer to D shape to clear lock. Fit short rods to door lock and door handle and fit both clips.

6) Fit the inside black door handle, 2 screws only for now, fit both long rods onto lock plate plus locate clips using flat blade screwdriver. Try not to cut fingers doing this. Clip both long rods to mid plastic clips. Try not to break these clips.

7) Fit aluminium L frame, bottom pop rivet with inner washer behind fibreglass, and small nut and bolt with 2 washers at sharp end only. Leave top loose until main frame fitted. 

8 ) Fit 2 rubbers into L frame.

9) Fit triangle glass into L frame, fit vertical rubber.

10) Fit black runners and horizontal brush trim into main window frame.

11) Drill 3.5mm holes through 4 existing holes in channel, 2 top 2 rear, Remove top and rear runners, enlarge holes in rubber runners to clear heads of pop rivets, about 6mm.

12) Refit runners into channels, fit glass into main frame channels, lower frame into door from outside, may have to remove triangle glass to get frame through door letterbox.

13) 4 pop rivets through channels into door, 2 top 2 rear, use 2 x 4mm nuts to space pop rivet into channel, and magnet on stick to stop the nuts falling into the channel when the pop rivet pops. 2 pop rivets into horizontal lug, unless it has broken off like 75% of mine have. This lug pushes the frame out into the door, so if it has broken off, just fit a piece of aluminium about 1/4" wide with 2 pop rivets pushing the frame hard up against the outside of the door. It does not have to be welded or fixed to the frame, it just locates the frame hard up against the fibreglass door shell.

14) 1 pop rivet into top of L frame. make sure the L frame is tight to the door when fitting that rivet.

15) Remove 2 screws and inner plates from inner lock handle, thread window motor through the rear hole, fit wheel into glass metal channel, fit 4 x 1/4" bolts, penny washers, and split washers all loosely then tighten all 4.

16) Fit 4 screws and back plates to locate inner black handle. Make sure long rod is in the top correctly. Make sure that long rod is the right way around. the other end is not a right angle fit. It is slightly kinked.

17) Cut and glue foam to door recess.

18) Cut and glue Amblar oatmeal trim to door recess.

19) Fit door to bodyshell after fitting rubber trim to door opening perimeter.   

« Last Edit: Saturday,May 16, 2020, 11:00:20 AM by 4129R »
Report to moderator   
« Last Edit: Saturday,July 04, 2020, 05:39:46 PM by dakazman »