Author Topic: Electric Europa.  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Electric Europa.
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,June 03, 2020, 08:47:13 AM »
Would love to see pics of your conversions!
Yes, me too. This sounds a very interesting project, and I agree, the Europa seems the perfect canvas for such a conversion.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,June 03, 2020, 10:40:17 AM »
I think it is a fantastic idea.  I have a soft spot for Lotus but one of my long term thoughts of owning one is that it will be much easier to convert to electric down the road than something like a muscle car due to its lightweight design and with a properly redesigned chassis I think the backbone is a prime spot to store centeralized and low center of gravity plus modules where the engine and fuel tank would sit.  This would also allow you to shift batteries around for best weight distribution. 

There is a very tidy Elan that has been converted and documented on instagram.  @lotus_elon  https://www.instagram.com/lotus_elon/

Motors are getting easier to find and Brushless technology has transformed the electric motor.  When I was researching used Tesla battery modules were about $1,400.00 USD about 6 months ago.  Seems to be the going rate from eBay and the electric conversion companies.  You have a great one on your side of the pond.  https://www.instagram.com/electricclassiccars/  www.electricclassiccars.co.uk

I can't wait to see your project!
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,June 03, 2020, 11:06:36 PM »
I’ve spoken to that guy and he’s done an amazing job. You can go down the route of buying a new kit but it can be very expensive. However, you are guaranteed that everything is plug and play. Using parts from wrecked cars can be a lot cheaper but you have to work harder at the systems integration. There has been a lot of Nissan Leafs, Toyota Prius/Auris/Yaris, Lexus, BMW etc made and wrecked. The motors, inverters and even batteries are usually fine. Did I mention cheap? I got my motor and inverter for €700. Add another €500 for the vehicle control unit from Damian Maguire. A new kit can easily cost €4500.

Batteries too can be expensive if you buy new. I have Tesla modules (25V each) which varied in price from €1000-1300. They are considered the best technology but they are large. Fitting them into a Lotus is hard!  You can pick up a bmw hybrid battery from €1000-€1500. The beauty of those is they are at full system voltage (400v) and granular in size and shape compared to to Tesla modules. They are designed to fit in the space for the old fuel tank. There are drawbacks, as always! The battery chemistry is hotter and they do require some form of management system. LiFePo4 cells, although less energy dense are very safe and once PROPERLY bottom balanced at the start, require minimal management. More monitoring really.

High or low voltage systems? Back to school. P=IV. To produce a high amount of Power during acceleration you will need a lot of current from a low voltage system. Meaning thicker cables and a lot of heat. Typically you need to use 70mm2 or 2/0 cable. Raise the voltage and the current goes down which means lighter cabling. There is a reason why OEMs have settled on 300-400VDC as their battery pack voltage. The VRMS is around the 220-240VAC range. Typical single phase domestic supply.

There are some very good resources on YouTube. Ev4u (Richard Van Wyhe did a great series on converting a Porsche 912), EVTV (although Jack’s moved into solar storage now) and EVBMW (That’s Damien Maguire here in Ireland).

It makes no financial sense whatsoever. I did it because I enjoyed the engineering challenge. Rather like owning a Lotus in general. On the Elan forum the same guy who criticized me about adding weight (which I didn’t) said I should have butchered a crappy city runabout and not a museum piece like the Elan. Firstly, my Elan isn’t a museum piece.  It’s there to be used and enjoyed. Secondly, after you’ve converted a crappy city runabout you still have a crappy city runabout. Why not convert something interesting?

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #18 on: Friday,September 04, 2020, 06:20:24 AM »
Just been for a long test drive in the Electric Europa. Actually it’s my first proper drive of a Europa! I upped the system voltage and it pulls well. I got to drive it around the country roads round here and it handled well. However, you can hear the suspension working! Went to a weigh bridge and it came out at 605kgs. I’m happy with that as that’s near S1 territory. Not bad for a Federal S2. As for range, I could comfortably do 70 miles with “spirited” driving. Possibly 100 at steady speed.

I could eek out a few more volts in the system but I really need to start the bodywork repairs.  I got a lot of positive comments about the car itself. Folks really like the shape despite mine being in the nude! One young lad correctly identified it a a Lotus. There is hope for humanity yet.

Offline gideon

« Reply #19 on: Friday,September 04, 2020, 06:35:22 AM »
Bodzer, congrats on getting to that milestone, and :ttiwwp:

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #20 on: Friday,September 04, 2020, 07:16:16 AM »
Just been for a long test drive in the Electric Europa. Actually it’s my first proper drive of a Europa! I upped the system voltage and it pulls well. I got to drive it around the country roads round here and it handled well. However, you can hear the suspension working! Went to a weigh bridge and it came out at 605kgs. I’m happy with that as that’s near S1 territory. Not bad for a Federal S2. As for range, I could comfortably do 70 miles with “spirited” driving. Possibly 100 at steady speed.

I could eek out a few more volts in the system but I really need to start the bodywork repairs.  I got a lot of positive comments about the car itself. Folks really like the shape despite mine being in the nude! One young lad correctly identified it a a Lotus. There is hope for humanity yet.

That's great news Bodzer! I too would love to see some pics!
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #21 on: Friday,September 04, 2020, 09:49:40 AM »
 :I-agree: :trophy:

Congratulations

Dakazman

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #22 on: Friday,September 04, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.

Pictures? I’m ashamed of the bodywork (or lack of it) at the moment! I’ll get round to it soon.

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Friday,September 04, 2020, 01:10:48 PM »
I just got around to reading about your project. It sounds very interesting! I'd like to see some pictures, too - body work or no. Congratulations on your running project!  :beerchug:

Offline gideon

« Reply #24 on: Friday,October 16, 2020, 07:39:01 AM »
Dennis Palatov has posted a blog entry about his next Palatov D47 build, which is going to be electric

http://www.dpcars.net/d47/index.htm

If you haven't come across it before, the Palatov D47 is a car that wears a Europa shell, but is all new underneath - here's a summary

http://www.dpcars.net/d47/info.htm