Author Topic: Twin Cam wiring help needed  (Read 569 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Twin Cam wiring help needed
« on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 02:39:27 PM »
I have a number of wiring issues I cant figure out and am hopeful someone smarter that me on British Wiring can help. here is what I have left to finish the car:

1) the left window switch in the console has four wires coming from the opening in the dash (yellow, white, blue/black and blue yellow)  I thought there were only three?  The right side has three wires (no white). What is the correct connection?

2) The window electric motors on the door have a harness with a black ground wire.  Where does it connect?  I don't remember if it connects to the motor itself or part of the motor connection frame.

3) there are two door switches on the left side. One has a white wire with green stripe that comes from the harness. The other has a white wire with a female spade plug attached and  black ground wire with a circle fitting to attach to the switch.  Where does the white/green wire spade plug attach to ?

4) there is a white/purple wire with a female spade connector on it that is attached to two brown wires.  I think this connects to a "buzzer" which I can t seem to find.

5) The windshield wiper motor has a long black ground wire attached to it with a female spade plug at one end. Where does it attach to?

6) I cant seem to get power to the fan at the radiator location. I will probably run a new wire with a switch.

7) The brand new interior light fried.  It got so hot the on/off switch melted.  There are only three wire to connect this. Not sure what went wrong.

Any insights on the above would be hugely helpful.

Offline dakazman

Re: Twin Cam wiring help needed
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
For problem nbr 2 . The black ground is just that. Anywhere. The ground on mine are connected to the motor base at the doors. What is needed is a wire from any point to that base . Run a wire from that huge ground block behind console thru the ferrel tube to the base. Run a test lead from that black wire to a point of your choosing. I just ent to Lowe’s and purchased a long grounding block.
 I’ll get back to you on the other problems  , babe sitting most of the past week . 🥴
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 03:15:49 PM »
1. The window switches in the console are wired thusly and vertically from the top. They only need to be attached to one or the other side of the switch:
black/blue
2 yellow wires
blue/yellow

2. The  ground wire should have a ring terminal on it. That is bolted where you bolt the motor to the door.

3. The Lucas standard for white/green is "Fuel pump no 2 or left-hand to changeover switch" for white/green and "Fuel pump no 2 or left-hand to changeover switch" for white/light green. I don't know how either of those apply to you. The bullet connector is a clue but I wonder if it's not a buzzer wire since it's a wire all by itself.

4. brown wires are supposed to be hot all the time and unfused. That looks like a PO bodge. but I'll look some more.

5. I've attached a lot of grounds to the back of the padding piece that bolts to the bottom of the dash. I also attached some to the brace for the bottom of the dash to the side of the car. I grounded all that to where the bottom dash mounts to the frame or where the console bolts to the frame with the heater/choke controls.

6. I had problems with my radiator fan wiring too but probably because I spazzed out so I installed a radiator fan controller. A yellow/green wire from the fuse box should go to the fan, then a blue/green wire to the switch (otter switch) and then a black wire from the switch to ground.

7. It sounds like you shorted something. I replaced my bulb with an LED and replaced the bullet connectors with male and female spade lugs. There are supposed to be three wires: purple, purple/black, black.

Good luck!

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
Oops! #4 is the brown wire probably goes to a door switch for either the light or a buzzer. Since you've already had a problem with your interior light going on, it is probably a buzzer.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
Was going for 5 but BDA has you covered.
Nbr 7 , be careful. But move to the bottom of the list . Fan for cooling first. Check continuity from temp sensor and other
I need to pull up your print correctly Tcs ???

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
What wattage of bulb did you use?  The festoon bulb for the reverse lights is 10W and the same dimensions and would melt the light's plastic.  You need a 5W or 3W bulb for the interior light.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »
Regarding the cooling fan, the fan is powered by a YG (yellow w/green tracer) wire direct from the fuse box. This fuse is powered by a yellow wire from the ignition switch.  The rad fan grounds though the UG (blue w/green tracer) which goes to the rad fan switch and then to ground (black to chassis, I think to the right side metal console support).

Please sort the issue (blown fuse, misconnection at the ignition switch) rather than run another wire.

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,August 17, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »
Glen, 
I have sent some pictures to you via Text about the window switches, wiper and door jamb.  I hope these help. 

Left window switch has the two yellow together on center spade, green w/ yellow at low spade.  Right switch has three wires yellow at center and blue w/white on low spade.

Wiper motor had two short grounds attached to bolt on motor housing.  One to power connection and one black into harness.

Door jamb yellow green goes under securing nut and terminates at cylinder bolted to back of Tach.

Dan

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #8 on: Monday,August 19, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
Thanks for everyone’s help. I have almost everything figured out and working. Been burning the midnight oil to complete my car.