Author Topic: Vinyl dash cover  (Read 1124 times)

Offline jbcollier

Vinyl dash cover
« on: Wednesday,May 16, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »
Vinyl dash cover 3, John 0

The S1 has a fibreglass dash which is covered in vinyl.  I've stuck the damn thing down three times now, each successive attempt with more exotic, and more expensive, glues.  They all fail over time.  The last stuff lasted the longest.  I'm beginning to wonder if it is the vinyl itself.

What have you used?  How long has it lasted?

John

Offline GavinT

Re: Vinyl dash cover
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,May 16, 2018, 10:49:32 PM »
G'day John,

Tricky.
When doing my dash top I used a contact glue recommended by an auto upholsterer - no brand name, sorry, because it was eons ago.

It was the type specified for head linings and there are also aerosol headlining glues. Mine is an S2 and the critical part was the concave area at each end. That’s stayed in place just fine over ~ 20 years.

The ordinary contact glues tend to soften and let go in the height of summer here in Oz but I guess that’s less of a problem in Canada.

Sorry to be less than definitive but I’d expect your local auto upholsterer should have an answer.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,May 17, 2018, 04:32:13 AM »
I used landau cover glue. I also used a vinyl that had stretch in both directions and used a heat gun to soften it so it conformed to the curves.
https://www.amazon.com/Dap-Weldwood-Contact-Adhesive-Solvent/dp/B004IH3HAQ

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,May 17, 2018, 07:37:42 AM »
First I used what I have always used “3M Super Trim Adhesive."  That failed  quite quickly.  Next up was “3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive.”  That lasted a month or so. Finally I used "Sprayway Fast Tack 92.”  That last six months.

It’s definitely in combination with the heat, or at least the heat accelerates the process.  It has always been the same vinyl which is what got me wondering.

My headliner is up and happy to stay in place.  It's just the dash which gets the full blast of the sun.  It may be Canada but the sun is very intense.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,May 17, 2018, 08:30:21 AM »
On my S1 I used a spray adhesive called Insta Glue by R.J. Ackaway. It can't be used on headliners. The dash vinyl has held for 3 years now, but my car rarely sits out in the sun. Maybe it's the vinyl causing a problem?
« Last Edit: Thursday,May 17, 2018, 08:34:20 AM by SwiftDB4 »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,May 17, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
"Maybe it's the vinyl"

... that's what I'm beginning to suspect myself.