Author Topic: Clutch Whirring noise  (Read 863 times)

Offline pboedker

Clutch Whirring noise
« on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
The clutch in my Europa is making a whirring noise when I lift the pedal and the clutch starts to grip. The noise is there only when starting from stand still and not with the pedal fully released or fully pressed.

This has been going on occasionally for a couple of years, but always only with cold engine/clutch so it was easy to live with. Yesterday, after a nice drive it has persisted, so now the noise is there at every start from stand still even with a warmed up engine. I guess it's time for a clutch job before the rest of the driving season, only I'm unsure of what parts to order in advance (so as to keep the car off the roads for the shortest duration). :'(

I made a small video and put it up on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTt4G-qZebg
The idea was to have the rev counter indicate when the clutch was gripping and making the sound. But I had to feather both the clutch and gas pedal probably too much to keep it from rolling inside the garage, so the needle movement is not very synchronous to the clutch movement. Anyway, the noise appears at the point where the clutch pedal is lifted just enough for the clutch to start gripping and the car to start rolling in 1st gear.

Has anyone had a similar noise from their clutch and knows exactly what the cause is?

I will be ordering a new clutch plate. It hasn't been changed in my 20 years of ownership.
I will also order a new throwout bearing, although I don't suspect it. It's cheap to replace.
Spigot bearing?... Must be cheap to replace at the same time.
The clutch cover, I will assume is OK, unless someone says that this is the cause of the sound.

Any ideas for where the noise is coming from or how to better diagnose it are welcome, thank you.  :)

BTW, the car is a TwinCam with a 365 5 speed box. And I had my lovely assistant operate the clutch pedal in a similar way, while I myself was situated in the engine compartment to make sure that the noise did in fact come from inside the bell housing.
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline Pfreen

Re: Clutch Whirring noise
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
I assume it only makes the sound when you are releasing the clutch.  Not when the clutch is fully released.  If that is the case, I would guess the bronze spigot bushing is worn.  It could be the release bearing, but I would think you would here that with the clutch fully released.  Anyway, the noise sounds like  a bearing to me.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 05:09:51 PM »
Change the complete clutch: pressure plate, disc and release bearing.  Both of the pressure plate's surfaces wear as well.  A new spigot bearing as well and I would also get a rear main seal, an input shaft seal and a bell housing gasket for the transaxle.  Hopefully that will cover any surprises you might find and keep well on the shelf if not needed.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 10:38:11 PM »
I would second replacing the whole assembly if you're pulling it apart, the cost of a new cover isn't a big factor considering the time & effort that goes into the job.  The flat springs on my old cover were noticeably easier to move than the new replacement. I've no idea why because logically they should have been perfect but something had changed over the years compared to the new one.

Brian

Offline pboedker

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,April 29, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
Thank you for the ideas and advice so far. ^-^

I will order a complete clutch set then, but keep the input shaft seal as a plan B, if necessary. I changed it 15 years and not many miles ago when replacing the gearbox, so unless it proves to be part of the problem, I will not open up between the gearbox/bell housing this time.

I did already decide that 2018 would be the year of eliminating as many as possible oil leaks from the engine, so a new rear main seal could be a valid point too, now that the gearbox will be removed.

:)
« Last Edit: Sunday,April 29, 2018, 09:11:49 PM by pboedker »
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark