Author Topic: TCS Brake Lines  (Read 730 times)

Offline Sherman Kaplan

TCS Brake Lines
« on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »
I contacted Automec in the UK to see if they had a brake pipe set for a Federal TCS.   They advised that they didn't, but would happy to make a set and add the Federal Twin Cam Special to their list of offered brake pipe sets.  In order to make the set they need the proper specifications of each of the brake pipes.  According to their email they need to know the locations, lengths and type & thread of the fittings required for each pipe in the system.  I am afraid I am too much of an amateur and would give them some wrong information.   Is this information available somewhere or does someone already have it written down?

I used one of the Automec kits on my MG TC and it fit very well.    I know that I could probably make a kit, but having one already made with the correct flares and fittings would be a real time saver, plus I would be afraid of not getting the flares right. I also think it would be great to have kits available for individuals in the future.

Now for my disclaimer, Automec did offer me a discount on the kit if I would supply them with the information.  If someone wants a kit (or part of a kit - they said they will make individual pipes) maybe we can work together (and figure out how to split the discount) to get them the information.   

Thanks,
Sherman
73 TCS

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: TCS Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
Your a month late. I just threw away all the OEM brakes lines from my TC. I could have sent them all the actual lines to copy.

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #2 on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
That seems to be the story of my life.  :P   Maybe someone else will have a set?

By the way, I needed new front carpets and a set of mats.  After I read your review of Automat I placed an order with them.  The carpets and mats arrived, but they were for a right hand drive car.  I called and spoke with Tim.  They apparently had 4 Europa orders at the same time, some left hand drive, some right hand drive. My order apparently got mixed up.  Tim was very nice and they shipped my correct left hand drive pieces last Tuesday.   I ordered the Wilton 4 and it is very close the the original carpet that is in the rest of my interior.

Sherman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 03:25:07 AM »
Sherman, Glad your carpet/ Matt’s worked out with AutoMat.

Making your own brake lines isn’t hard, you just need the right flare tool. The biggest issue is the all bends you have to make. Just get a brake line bend tool and take your time. If you lived closer you could come over and use mine (a friend of mine just did that, set him up in my wood shop with the flair tool mounted a vise, pipe cutter, measuring tape and away he went making brake lines).

I usually don’t throw old parts away, but I was re-organizing my shop last month and all the old brakes lines where sticking way out of a box and I decided I would never use them and who would buy used brake lines......so I bent them all up to put in the garbage. Sorry.

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 08:04:45 PM »
You wouldn't want to move to Colorado would  you?  If I have to make the lines I will give it a go. Eastwood sell a nice looking flare tool.  It's expensive, but I have read good reviews.   Automec seems to have made a let for right hand drive Europas in the past. I still see  them advertised on the web.  I wonder if the guy that responded to my request knows that.  Do you know if the right hand drive Twin Cam Europas had dual brake servo's?   If they did then the only difference that I could see would be at the front with the lines to the Master Cylinder, although I wonder if they would have just been reversed?

Sherman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,April 28, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
UK spec Europas ran a single circuit master cylinder right up to the end.  They did add s booster but just one.