Author Topic: New member from france  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Triton23

New member from france
« on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
Hi breadvan gang, just joined the forum after purchasing my first europa.
I am English and have lived in France for 15 years now, so any french members fell free to write in French.
I have had many Elise’s and sevens, but as a child of the sixties and seventies I had to get a breadvan! Sorry TC lovers. I found one near Fontainebleau a few weeks ago. It’s now on french plates but is RHD original U.K. S2 7105120410P, it has many mods including I think banks or spyder front end with vented discs, 807 crossflow with Gordini head twin Weber’s, heavily modified ie. non standard rear end with disc brake conversion and NG3 five speed box. It’s nearly ready for its CT or french MOT, few things left to do after 4 years laid up in a french barn. I need help finding gasket for the NG3 as it is weeping from the rear cover, so if anyone knows a p/n or better still where I can get one it would be fab. I have made a reverse gear gate opener and that works well, just need to cure the weep. I’ve just tried to add a photo f the car but it won’t let me upload it

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: New member from france
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 11:51:55 AM »
Let me be the first to  :Welcome:

Hmmm.. some interesting things done to the rear of the car.

I see a bike frame off the side, what is it off of, from another bike freak.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
 :Welcome: Triton!

That is an interesting car! I'd love to see more pictures! At the top of the Garage section, there are instructions for reducing the resolution so you can post bigger pictures.

Being in France, it should be pretty easy to get a gasket. I would think you'd be able to get one from a Renault dealer if you tell them you have a Turbo Fuego. NG3s were also used in Renault 18s, 20s, and 30s.

Offline Triton23

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
the bike frame, is my spare Gilera Sp01 1988 125, they left the factory with 37hp which for a 125 is awesome.
ok so ask for a fuego turbo gearbox gasket? i would have thought its available on line but cant find any

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 12:13:37 PM »
 :Welcome:

Hi Triton!

ps, do you have a Triton?

Mark

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
Yeah, I think you would ask for the end cover gasket for a Turbo Fuego.

The only online sales operation I've seen is Mecaparts (http://www.mecaparts.com/index.php). They don't list NG3 parts specifically online, or at least not that I could tell, but I would think a phone call to them would be helpful. But at that point, a phone call to a Renault dealer would probably be handier.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
As you are in France, and speak the lingo, you will be a very good contact to find Renault parts.

Mission #1, please find a Renault 17 5 speed gearbox.

Offline RoddyMac

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 01:19:20 PM »
Given that title, I would think it is but comparing it to the picture in the workshop manual of the end cover, it doesn't look like it would quite match up. That's probably not a good way to compare them so I wouldn't discount it. It also looks like it's in Italy so there are likely closer ones for Triton.

Offline Triton23

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,April 24, 2018, 11:54:48 PM »
I found the gasket that Roddymac posted a link for last night. its got to be the one. great price at 3 quid but 14 to post it is crazy!! at least we have
what I believe to be the correct Renault part number of 7700658602 to work with now.
R17 five speed box, are we talking the NG1? I think? iam always scouring the French small ads for UN1-13 box's and buy any I find for my GT40 building friends, I had a quick look this morning and found a couple of NG1 for 250€ & 350€ respectively.

Offline Triton23

« Reply #10 on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 01:17:59 AM »
Ok people, I took loads of photos of the NG3 installation but I cannot seem to upload them from my iPad. iPad photos  are usually compressed so should load. I tried so many times I’ve given up. Obviously apple doesn’t have paint or anything to fiddle with them. I have found an alternative pattern for the rear cover gasket and Renault p/n 7700717540 so I’m now more confused than ever which is correct.
There are loads of Renault boxes for sale over here, I usually scoop up all the un1-13 for the gt40 builders, but plenty of NG1, NG3 and 369’s
To give an idea I usually pay about 250€ for a un1-13 ( 13’s have the best ratios)
There are a couple of NG’s in the small ads this week for 200 and 350 respectively. I have no idea of U.K. prices but these seem cheap enough to me.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #11 on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 03:02:20 AM »
Hi Triton,  :Welcome:  :newhere: I’m new here this week too and I’ve been trying to figure out ways of posting the pics up from my iPhone because I’m away on holiday atm... I’ve been e-mailing myself the pics I have - this gives you the option of selecting different file sizes to send, the smaller options appear to have worked for me so far...
Another option is if you have Facebook, upload your pics to a folder on your account and then once done, view the pic and save it to your iPad - it should be a more manageable size to upload here! - again, I’ve had some success with that too!

They seem like good prices for the gearboxes, just to get an idea... how much does it cost to ship one to the uk?

Jon

Offline Triton23

« Reply #12 on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 03:48:16 AM »
Hi John, i have no idea on shipping but there are loads of white van drivers here in France who shuttle back and forth, unless you live in a remote area in U.K. I would have though 50-75, I have shipped to Italy but the buyer has always sorted the transport. I could chuck one in the back of the land rover on my next trip back to U.K., my daughter has just moved back so will be going to see her at some point.there is a Facebook page also for europa owners and fans it’s so easy to upload onto that. I would prefer to be in the garage thanresizing photos, but I am told the real experts are on this site.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #13 on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »
Welcome Triton

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #14 on: Friday,April 27, 2018, 11:23:28 PM »
Hi Triton, and another   :Welcome:

It sounds like you have a car with some well thought out upgrades, rear discs were the only way I could get a good handbrake on mine, or at least one that worked from one MoT until the next !

On the subject of gearboxes, I think your local prices are good. Over here in Blighty it looks to me as if prices swing between £250 and "think of a number because this fits a Lotus"
but probably the more difficult problem is getting hold of one. They do crop up but it's not as if you can just open the classifieds and pick the nearest one.  Perhaps you ought to organise a group buy and fill a transit !

Experts....   well there's no doubt we have some very talented folk on this forum and what I like about it is that everyone has an open mind about whether the cars should be kept original, modified or made competitive for racing/sporty events. 

If you're new to the Europa scene there's also a Yahoo group for the Europa which is email-based. Because it's been going the longest it's got some real experts on there who own just about any T-shirt you care to mention so a cry for help there usually gets a rapid response as well. The only downside is no posting photos and I find it a bit dated so I'm more of a lurker than poster on that one.  But definitely worth linking up with, the knowledgebase they create from the daily posts goes back for decades !

Brian