Author Topic: Twin Cam Brake System Removing Pressure Difference Warning Valve  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Twin Cam Brake System Removing Pressure Difference Warning Valve
« Reply #15 on: Friday,April 20, 2018, 08:03:44 AM »
I came across a Girling extension in my parts box and for some reason I cannot get it to screw onto my S2 reservoir. It seems to be the right diameter but is fractionally too tight, cannot get the thread started.

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Friday,April 20, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
I have a pressure bleeder (Motive Products) that I got when I got my Mercedes. It screws on the reservoir. I thought it would be good to get an adapter for the Lotus so I ordered one. They offer a very extensive selections of adapters for a lot of cars including "Classic British" cars, and a couple of Girling adapters. Even one for Tilton master cylinders. It didn't fit. After many back and forth emails, taking measurements of diameter and thread pitch, etc. They had one in the right diameter but the thread pitch was wrong. They tried to be helpful but in the end, they weren't able to provide an adapter that fit my stock Girling TCS master cylinder.

I only go through all this to emphasize that I don't think there are any standards of reservoir caps and they seem to change them enough that attaching anything to the reservoir is a hit or miss proposition, even if it is from the same manufacturer.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #17 on: Friday,April 20, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »
BDA, I have to agree with you, the reason why the SOVY tank fit on the Spitfire MC in my photo was that the older Girling Spitfire and Europa M/Cs had the same threads. I tried to screw the SOVY canister on the new aftermarket Spitfire M/C and it won't fit.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #18 on: Monday,April 30, 2018, 04:06:33 AM »
I found my "spare" SOVY tank and float from the Elan S4 restoration I did 2 years ago. Cleaned it up, put new washers/gaskets in it and screwed it right onto the master cylinder. Will disassemble again to electroplate the can.  I made a note to run wiring from it to the dash when the body comes back from the body shop.

« Last Edit: Monday,April 30, 2018, 06:04:14 AM by Certified Lotus »