Author Topic: Bonnet opening and closing  (Read 2427 times)

Offline jjbunn

Bonnet opening and closing
« on: Thursday,June 09, 2016, 11:17:03 AM »
When I open the bonnet I have to lift it by swinging out the small cover over the lock and lifting with that ... not ideal! Perhaps my bonnet height needs adjusting? 

Are the rubber stops at each side supposed to be adjusted so that the bonnet is well proud when just resting on the stops, so that the bonnet needs to be pushed down before it can be locked in place with the key?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Bonnet opening and closing
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,June 09, 2016, 11:22:03 AM »
Which part are you calling the bonnet? Front, or rear engine cover? I always use the key to lift either, and the rear comes up nice and easy if the gas struts are fitted.

Offline jjbunn

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,June 09, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
Which part are you calling the bonnet? Front, or rear engine cover? I always use the key to lift either, and the rear comes up nice and easy if the gas struts are fitted.

The front hood, but my question also applies to the engine cover ... are they both supposed to be lifted using the key?

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 09, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
The front cover should be very light unless someone has lined it with anything. That should lift very easily with the key turned to one side.

The rear cover is a fair bit heavier, and is easy to lift with the key turned, if you have gas struts, as fitted to the later cars, and as supplied by Banks.

As both should (!!!) be a good fit, there is no other easy way of lifting either. If the key is on a decent size key ring or carabina, it should lift easily, but make sure the key is turned so it does not slip out and damage your paintwork.

The only problem I have had (apart from no keys to open them) is the metal catch hitting the fibreglass on the rear engine cover.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 09, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
You can do what this owner did to rectify the perceived front/rear hood opening problem, front and rear lift handles.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 09, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »
Those aren't lift handles.  They are mini spoilers to smooth the air flow above 200 kph...

Seriously though, a suitably sized spring mounted to the body will do the trick of lifting the cover/lid when you unlatch it.  I used these myself:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-8wztRXS/A

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-RBKK3qz/A

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-jfcF6rR/A

http://www.quik-latch.com/quik-latch-mini-latch.html

They are tricky to fit at the rear as the rear cover and body come together at an oblique angle.  I use grommets constrained by bent fender washers to give flexibility and add an upward bias.

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 03:51:02 AM »
I bet his wife wasn't happy when the handles went missing from two of the kitchen cabinets ;o)

Given the weight of the grp lids, one gas strut should be plenty... less is more! There are plenty of options available on ebay etc.