Author Topic: Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate  (Read 1378 times)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate
« on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 06:43:52 AM »
In rebuilding a Lotus Twin Cam engine, the clutch pressure plate had surface rust on the face which makes contact with the gearbox side of the driven plate.
I took the plate to the local engineering shop, and they told me they could not re-surface it, and to buy a new one.

These plates are not cheap. £138.00 + VAT from Banks = £165.60.

When cleaning up a rusted brand new disc last week, I found that the pitted rust can be easily cleaned from the disk using an small angle grinder blade full face on. The disc came up like new.

I used the same method on the face of the clutch pressure plate, and it removed all the pitting, and also came up like new. Each plate I resurface saves me £165.60. It only takes about 2 minutes, and a very steady hand, but the guard has to be removed from the small angle grinder, so you have to be very careful.

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Clutch Cover/Pressure Plate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 08:57:38 AM »
You're a braver man than me Alex, I don't think I'd go that far with DIY. Perhaps I've not got a steady enough hand ?

Without wishing to lose sales for Richard, you can pick them up cheaper than that. I did mine last year and I think it cost around £50 for the driven plate and the same for the housing. 8.5" driven plate and the housing is the same as the 5 speed Elans. From my notes and numbers copied from the boxes....

TC Europa, 352 box.

Cover - Borg & Beck HE2848, 216mm, LL075
Ferodo 26/FD/1(2), 21 splines on plate, Ford Corsair 2000, Zephyr Mk3,4
Release bearing : RHP 6/W1-5057  ID 38.1mm, OD 68.6mm, 15.6mm thick. Rounded bearing surface. Ford Cortina

On the release bearing you need to compare dimensions because some Cortinas are flat load bearing surfaces.  No significant difference in price between a bearing supplier and Richard

Edit to add...   check this one with the seller, I think it's the same ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-130-2S-5-SPEED-BRAND-NEW-BORG-AND-BECK-CLUTCH-COVER-1970-74-/252408985388?hash=item3ac4bf772c:g:W5cAAOxyUrZS7-QC
« Last Edit: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 09:06:09 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »
It is only a small power 6" angle grinder, but it is ideal for cutting and now refacing.

Unlike a 9" angle grinder, it has no torque kick when starting up, but it still needs a lot of careful handling and treating with respect.

Tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, I start building up the new chassis for 4688R.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,June 11, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »
We clean up brake discs, flywheels and clutch pressure plates all the time.  Nothing wrong with using a small angle grinder as long as you used the proper abrasive material.  We use Scotch-Brite Surface Conditioning discs.  Using a metal abrasive grinding disc would ruin the surface.