Author Topic: Lower fulcrum pin  (Read 1341 times)

Offline vito84

Lower fulcrum pin
« on: Thursday,July 30, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »
Hi guys,
i'm overhaulin front suspensions and now i've a little problem, i've removed the lower wishbone pivot pin and now i'm not able to put it back into his position, too much friction.
To remove it i've used nut and shims and a copper hammer to put the new one back, but it entered only for few centimeters and now it looks completly locked.
Can someone help me?
Thank you
Edo
https://www.facebook.com/lotuseuropatwincamrestorationproject
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Lower fulcrum pin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,July 30, 2015, 01:21:21 AM »
Well, if it came out once then it'll do the same again.

All I can suggest is to pull it out with the nut/washers/spacer method and clean the pin up with emery paper until it's shiny metal. Pull a rag soaked in paraffin through the chassis mounting tube several times to clear grit, etc.

Then just use plenty of oil and slide it back into place. I often grind the leading end of long bolts & these pins with a slight taper over the last couple of threads to make a smooth lead in but otherwise that's it. You're not doing anything wrong, it's just "being a Lotus" ;)

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,July 30, 2015, 03:05:55 AM »
Try using a slightly smaller metal bar from the other end (e.g. a large cross headed screw driver) to line things up. Wiggle it around a bit at the far end while tapping the pin at the other end, and with Copperslip or other lubricant, it should all line up and the pin should pass through without major banging.

If this is the bar that goes into the footwell, then I used a very long socket extension bar with a 3/4 socket on the end (may have been 7/8), and tapped the end of the bar from the door opening.

Always put the nut on the end of the thread several turns before banging gently, or you will bugger up the thread. Been there, done that. 

Offline vito84

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 31, 2015, 01:45:13 PM »
Job done!
https://www.facebook.com/lotuseuropatwincamrestorationproject
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline BDA