Author Topic: Bigger front brake kits  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Runningwild

Bigger front brake kits
« on: Thursday,June 18, 2015, 04:09:31 AM »
Are there any front brake kits available for the Europa.  I plan on running 15" wheels.  Banks eng.has kits but are there any available in the states.    Tom

Offline BDA

Re: Bigger front brake kits
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,June 18, 2015, 05:59:23 AM »
Richard has no problem shipping to the states. I have his vented front and rear disc kits (among many other pieces) and they work great!

I thought I had heard about somebody selling his products over here, but I don't remember who it was or if he's still in business. r.d. enterprises sells some items of Richard's so Ray might be worth a call.

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,June 18, 2015, 08:42:29 AM »

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 18, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »
You can also look for a triumph herald or early spitfire disc brake kit for the front, these should fit on our cars as well.

Serge

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 18, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »
GT6/Vitesse brakes may be better. The GT6 was a 6 cylinder 2 litre version of the Spitfire, as was the Triumph Vitesse, a 2 litre version of the Herald.

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #5 on: Friday,June 19, 2015, 01:18:27 AM »
You can definitely get Wilwood brake upgrade kits for the GT6 / Spitfire. I'm not sure about availability in the US, but they do exist. There are different sizes available, depending on which wheel sizes you want to run. TBH I wouldn't necessarily go for the biggest kit that fits under your wheels, unless you're sure you'll drive in a way that needs them - e.g. track use.

http://www.motorsport-tools.com/motorsport-parts/brakes/brake-kits/shopby/triumph/wilwood.html

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Friday,June 19, 2015, 05:46:53 AM »
Europa use Spitfire uprights and brakes.  GT6 uprights and brakes are different.  You can only fit GT6 brakes if you also fit GT6 uprights.

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,June 20, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm going to contact Motorsports tools UK and order the spitfire kit. It's a wildwood setup and that's what I'm looking for. Site says some machining may be nesessary.  If Europa used spitfire hubs and brakes this should work. Hopefully. Tom

Offline StrawberryCheesecake

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,June 20, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »
Europa use Spitfire uprights and brakes.  GT6 uprights and brakes are different.  You can only fit GT6 brakes if you also fit GT6 uprights.

I thought I'd read somewhere that early Europas used spitfire / herald uprights, and TCs used late spitfire / GT6 equivalents. I'm not an expert in either though, so maybe it's better to get a second opinion on that.

EDIT: I did some searching. According to this, I'm wrong. http://www.lotus-europa2.com/data/xr1/r36.html

Maybe it was an upgrade option I read about.
« Last Edit: Saturday,June 20, 2015, 03:33:21 PM by StrawberryCheesecake »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Saturday,June 20, 2015, 10:20:09 PM »
My '72 TC certainly has the smaller Spitfire/Herald hubs and bearings, so that means the smaller stub axle as well. As far as I know, that carried on to the '73 TCS until Lotus stopped making them. But this is Lotus, so nothing is ruled out....   ;)

I don't know about the upright/vertical link casting.   I've never looked that closely at them but was under the impression that the upright castings are the same for both Spitfire/Herald and GT6 it's just the stub axles are different, so one has a bigger hole than the other.  I don't honestly know though, so if anyone does have an answer then I'm interested to hear for sure either way.

The 2 seat Elan does have the situation you mention though, where if the Elan has bolt on wheels like the early ones then it had the Herald axles/hubs. If it has knock on wheels as most of the later ones did, then it has the larger axles & bearings.  And it's quite common to convert the type 14 caliper & 9" discs to the larger type 16 caliper & 9.5" discs as fitted to the GT6, Elan+2. A simple bolt on mod. I have been mulling over whether that's an option for the TC or whether to just bite the bullet and spend money with Hispec and get their version of th e4 pot Princess caliper.

I know Richard does a conversion kit which looks good value for money as it includes everything you need including new alloy hubs. I'm just not sure I want to go with custom drilled discs, I do like to stay with parts I can just buy from a motor factor over the shelf.  I'll be interested to hear what's involved in the set-up you're exploring, when I read the "machining needed", I just turned off.....

Brian