Author Topic: Resto project done right  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Resto project done right
« on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »
Surfing the air waves this morning, and came across this rebirth of another Europa...

Great pictures and commentary of a first class project, with fine attention to detail.
It's always interesting and rewarding to see what it takes to complete the journey of bringing another classic back to the road.

Enjoy!
     https://blackshadowmotors.com/home/restoration/in-process-cars/73-lotus-europa/   

Offline BDA

Re: Resto project done right
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »
A great walk through a complete frame-off restoration!

I found the following very interesting:

The new dash was done by PrestigeAutowood (I've been a fan of Randy since he did my dash but unfortunately, he has retired and shut down his business). The first picture of the new dash looks really nice with some nice "fire" in the grain but the second picture looks a lot more bland. It must be the light or something because I have to believe that it actually looks better than the first picture.

I wouldn't have deleted the badges but - I replaced the original championship badge with the one that included Mario's '78 Championship - I understand the desire to "clean up" the body.

They mentioned our own Grumblebuns as the guy who sold them their replacement 365 tranny!

I love the Lotus Brand wheels but 15" wheels make more sense. Their restored wheels really look great!

I would have replaced the rear drums with discs but that's not a big criticism.

When I was building my car, I sent my seat belts to Ssnake Oyl to re-web them and rebuild the retractors if possible. They couldn't do the retractors so it was interesting to read that they found someplace to rebuild their retractors.

I would have replaced the steel tanks with aluminum units but after their restoration should provide great service.

I was surprised that the block's motor mount bosses were different from the original block. I would have thought that that sort of thing would be carried through on all "Kent" blocks.

Having A/C is a great addition!!! I didn't know how a compressor could be driven from my motor (I didn't know about electric compressors or they didn't exist in the '90s) and I didn't want to loose my front trunk but I probably should have tried harder to solve problem of driving the compressor and not been so covetous of my front trunk!

The engine cover has a box under the grille on the engine intake side. I guess to keep water out of the air cleaner and carbs? I don't think I've seen that before.

I guess the detail of the article encouraged a similar response. The end result is beautiful. They did a stupendous job, my differences not withstanding. I'm sure the owner was ecstatic when he got it and drove it that first time. I imagine he's ecstatic every time he drives it!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 12:06:32 PM »
Nice work with lots of $$ spent.

That Lucas alternator will fry with the electric AC.  They need to fit a bigger one.

With the amount of $$ being spent, they should open the transaxle.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 21, 2020, 11:16:25 PM »
Ooh! Very nice. I really like the colour.  Thanks for sharing it Lou.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 28, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
I just missed getting a new dash from Prestige. Still looking.

I think those are pictures of two different dashes, the first looks exactly like one of Randy's website pictures in a figured wood. Note the instrument openings picture Randy's optional rebate to inset the instruments. The second picture has straight-sided holes. That would explain the differences.

Very nice job. Now back to grafting on wheel arches...

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,October 29, 2020, 05:55:41 AM »
From BDA's comment "The engine cover has a box under the grille on the engine intake side. I guess to keep water out of the air cleaner and carbs? I don't think I've seen that before."

I noticed this also - is this considered a worthwhile addition for both sides? 

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,October 29, 2020, 06:19:17 AM »
This is common where the distributor is directly under a vent/grill.  Porsche 914s have drain trays under their engine cover grill for this reason.  It's not an issue for Renault powered Europas.  Don't know about TC/S Europas.  I suspect it also isn't an issue as no one complains about no spark after rain.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,October 29, 2020, 06:58:48 AM »
This is the first time I’ve ever seen a tray under grill on a TC. I don’t intentionally drive mine in the rain now but was never deterred from driving in the rain in when it was “new” and never had any trouble. Maybe the rain is different there!  :)

Offline GavinT

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,October 29, 2020, 07:25:55 AM »
I reckon the rain trays are a good idea.
Back in the day, on my S2, the rain would bugger up the paper air filters on the Webers and on the left side, it started to help rusting the headers.

At the time, the Europa was my daily driver when I was renting a place without a garage.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,October 29, 2020, 10:11:11 AM »
At the risk of asking a stupid question what happens when you wash the car?? Is this an issue with water entering the vents?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,October 29, 2020, 10:44:32 AM »
At the risk of asking a stupid question what happens when you wash the car?? Is this an issue with water entering the vents?
I've never had any problems as such, just some water spotting on the air cleaners and other parts. No problems either when driving in rain, which I've done numerous times. My biggest concern when washing the car is the water that pools on top of the fuel tanks. When I wash the car I lay a sheet of plastic over the engine to divert the water to the ground. I keep a piece of sheet plastic just for this purpose. Afterwards, if any water has accumulated on top of the tanks, I immediately remove it with a sponge.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #11 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »
Sorry to keep on about engine vents but can somebody please educate me on how many there are. I was of the opinion that the TC and TCS engine covers had 2 vents - and the S2 has 4. However I have seen photos of TC's with 4 vents.... :confused:
Is this an UK/American market issue? Finally, irrespective of model - wouldn't it be advantageous to have 4 vents instead of 2? 

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #12 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 05:39:28 AM »
I believe the rear deck lids are interchangeable between the various Europas.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #13 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 06:23:13 AM »
[...] Finally, irrespective of model - wouldn't it be advantageous to have 4 vents instead of 2?

Who's left their car parked under a tree and returned to find a couple of leaves on the vents?
I've found you can easily drive around at 'suburban' speeds and the leaves stay put!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 06:32:06 AM »
Yup, TC/S Europas all came with two, relocated, vents -- possibly to keep water off the distributor?  As already stated, they are interchangeable.

Gavin's right, air flow in the engine compartment is very poor.  Worse, especially on the S1/2s, is that it also tends to recirculate.  It flows out the vents and back in through the rear grill!