Author Topic: BAT...auction price trend  (Read 761 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
BAT...auction price trend
« on: Wednesday,September 02, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
Bring a trailer has earned a solid reputation as one of the leading auction sites for automotive classics.

A quick snap shot of the past five years traffic for the Europa can be found here.

https://bringatrailer.com/lotus/europa/

Offline jbcollier

Re: BAT...auction price trend
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2020, 04:41:07 PM »
Sorry, not a big fan of BAT for buying Europas.  Seen a couple of dodgy sales now with poorly documented cars going for big money that I’m sure resulted in big headaches for the buyers.  I even politely pointed out the issues but they bid it up any way.  Too many pseudo-experts chiming in with inaccurate positive assessments.  It’s almost like it’s bad etiquette to point out flaws and important missing information.

Europas require careful examination.  Chassises that crack and rust, bodies that spider crack — easily temporarily hidden with a blow over, and never mind the mechanical minefields.  If you are buying remotely assume, prepare and budget for the worst.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience with auction sites. I can't imagine buying a car without looking it over personally, but I know people who do and it's worked out well for them so to each their own. There are some things I like about it BaT. The comments can be interesting, though as JB says, they can be really dumb too. If I'm interested in the car, I sometimes try to catch the last half hour as it can be exciting. I also like that they keep a history. I have no idea if BaT tends to get higher or lower bids than should be expected (Certified's experience argues that they could be lower) but having a history is useful for general trends and fun to look back on.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 02, 2020, 08:57:12 PM »
Jb & BDA...In a way I agree with you both, not a fan of purchasing sight unseen and possible hidden pitfalls. Additionally, the comments can be a bit strange with some posters who are unfamiliar with the car and most never having had owned one.

However, as a gauge to the market value versus other brands, and depending on condition of the respective vehicle it's a positive trend. I see more and more basket cases resurfacing as never before. The popularity and interest continues to rise....
Look at our membership figures now as compared to five years ago, the rarity of the Europa is one of it's strength's. While other makes have either dropped or have become stale the Europa has yet to reach it's true potential classic value.

Lets face it, a ground up resto with a decent donor can cost 20k to begin with. Even more if you want to go the extra mile. I like the fact that in the last 13 years of ownership I will not be sorry for my investment and sweat equity.     

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,September 03, 2020, 06:41:25 AM »
No dispute there Lou.  Me?  I’m a buy high, sell low kind of guy.  In between buying and selling, I also spend a small fortune!  :-)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 03, 2020, 03:23:00 PM »
No dispute there Lou.  Me?  I’m a buy high, sell low kind of guy.  In between buying and selling, I also spend a small fortune!  :-)

LMAO,  :FUNNY:

The buy high price never happens to me , sell even lower,YES... or worse.... take a complete write off.

DAKAZMAN