Author Topic: Europa Floor  (Read 992 times)

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
Europa Floor
« on: Tuesday,May 26, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »

Good Morning all, hope you all made the most of the holiday.
Has any one have to hand a photograph of the floor of a eiropa from underneath the car? I am unable to get under the car to fully investigate the situation. What I have under the drivers side (r/h side) to the rear of the seat position under the car I have some insulation/lagging material appearing. A photograph of this area would confirm if I have something missing or at least what it should look like. Thank you all in anticipation
all the best
Stuart

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Europa Floor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 26, 2015, 12:55:36 AM »
I can't help with a photo, but by any chance could this be coming from the bulkhead via the cut out that you use for access to the bottom of the petrol tank ? 

Normally there's a large hole behind both seats on the TCs for access & removal of the tanks, which isn't covered up. If the bulkhead sound insulation is peeling away, then that's where it will drop.

Brian

edit to add - I have some aluminium panels covering mine which I can photograph if it will be of any use.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 26, 2015, 01:36:30 AM »
Good Morning Brian. So the hole is for the fuel tank to come through. I was a bit concerned about water and the like getting in. I thought that there may be a panel that had come adrift. If it isn't to much trouble a picture would be appreciated. I would prefer some protection
Thanks for the speedy reply Brian
all the best
Stuart

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 26, 2015, 06:16:25 AM »
Here is a good one, (Lotus Joe's gallery).

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/gallery/Zetec/Europa_on_a_2_postlift

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 26, 2015, 10:00:45 AM »
So the hole is for the fuel tank to come through. I was a bit concerned about water and the like getting in. I thought that there may be a panel that had come adrift.

Ah Stuart, this is Lotus. Although it's highly likely that bits can and do fall off, in this case they decided not to put them there in the first place !

My covers aren't what you'd call glowing examples of engineering, but they do work quite well at keeping the petrol pipes and tanks clear of dirt and water spray. They are made from 2mm Aluminium, the first generation were 1mm and a bit on the flimsy side although they worked well enough.

On the photo, the green is GRP floor, the red Al and the blue either rivets or bolts.  The photo shows basically how they fit on, at the front leading edge there is a pop riveted panel which simply slips over the fibreglass and lodges in place. At the rear there's 2xM6 bolts which pull down another internal panel to hold it all secure. It looks a bodge job, but it's quite sturdy once in place.  If the M6 bolts are long enough you have sufficient "wiggle room" for the internal plate to slip through from underneath, fitting them in place is a one-side job.

Brian

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,May 26, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
Brian, that looks spot on, I will put something together this weekend. Thank you so much for your trouble much appreciated, I owe you one.
Blasterdad, again thank you very much for your trouble, good picture, gives a different perspective
drive carefully
all the best
Stuart