Author Topic: Broken front ARB replacement  (Read 258 times)

Offline Impromptu

Broken front ARB replacement
« on: Thursday,August 04, 2022, 06:55:50 AM »
When found unexpectedly on an unpaved road during an oldtimer outing, the front ARB hit a rock when driving very slowly and it broke at 2 places (see picture). The bar was removed, and the journey could be completed, but I am now in the process of installing a new one.

I ordered one for a Twin Cam. To my surprise it's much beefier than the one that was installed (formerly about 1/2", the new one possibly even slightly thicker than 5/8"), so perhaps the old one wasn't original either.

One of the drop links was deformed, but I was able to bend it back in shape. But I would like install new silent blocks for the drop links to the top of the suspension. The new ones I received are (too) short and don't contain a central steel sleeve. Is there a specific part number of reference I can use to locate the correct ones? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Broken front ARB replacement
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,August 04, 2022, 11:59:45 AM »
The ARB diameter for two TCs that I measured come to about 0.7". I believe that the ARB for the S2 were a tad bit thinner.

Who did you order the drop links from? I can't believe they sent you the wrong ones.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 04, 2022, 08:07:48 PM »
When found unexpectedly on an unpaved road during an oldtimer outing, the front ARB hit a rock when driving very slowly and it broke at 2 places (see picture). The bar was removed, and the journey could be completed, but I am now in the process of installing a new one.

I ordered one for a Twin Cam. To my surprise it's much beefier than the one that was installed (formerly about 1/2", the new one possibly even slightly thicker than 5/8"), so perhaps the old one wasn't original either.

One of the drop links was deformed, but I was able to bend it back in shape. But I would like install new silent blocks for the drop links to the top of the suspension. The new ones I received are (too) short and don't contain a central steel sleeve. Is there a specific part number of reference I can use to locate the correct ones? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

The drop links are the same part per the parts breakout for the S2 and the TC: part # 054C0005Z.  The lower bush on the TC is called out as 036C6027Z (per the parts manual, it's the same bush for the S2 and TC) and the thicknesses of the bar, as measured are: S2 - 9/16", and TC/TCS - 11/16".  The upper bush is part number 046C6001Z as per, again, the parts manuals. (http://www.lotuseuropa.us/lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/c/index.htm)

These are all from the on-line parts manuals at either lotus-europa.com or lotuseuropa.us (and, the parts manuals on RD's site, which are a copy of the work we did in '07 to digitize all the paper manuals).
« Last Edit: Thursday,August 04, 2022, 08:10:20 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Impromptu

« Reply #3 on: Friday,August 05, 2022, 06:54:02 AM »
Thank you for your feedback. Indeed I measured, and the 0.7" seems about right with the bar I received, so I have the correct one. I didn't order new drop links (may I should have), but try to reuse the old ones.

When looking for new drop links, I discovered they are mostly supplied with new top bushes. Thank you Bryan for the suggestion (and the link) to look into the parts manual. I'll try to see if I can find the bushes using the proper part number.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #4 on: Friday,August 05, 2022, 08:35:59 AM »
Thank you for your feedback. Indeed I measured, and the 0.7" seems about right with the bar I received, so I have the correct one. I didn't order new drop links (may I should have), but try to reuse the old ones.

When looking for new drop links, I discovered they are mostly supplied with new top bushes. Thank you Bryan for the suggestion (and the link) to look into the parts manual. I'll try to see if I can find the bushes using the proper part number.

There is a link at the top of that page I linked to bring you to the entire manual(s) for the TC.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.