Author Topic: Windscreen install  (Read 862 times)

Offline Sparkrite

Re: Windscreen install
« Reply #15 on: Friday,December 31, 2021, 04:56:17 AM »
I Installed my screen last night, and I decided not to put the frit band. The reason is firstly my car is garaged most of the time, also here in the UK there is not a great deal of sun but quite a bit of rain so my priority was to get a watertight seal. By using the frit band you cannot see how well the sealant has made contact,especially as the gap is not consistent . I chose to not add my original trim first as this method has soo many possibilities for a bad join. I tested the  urethane first on my old screen and on the car screen opening and it bonded well. So my screen went on without the trim and I have a consistent 3/8 bond which I can see. Where it was a bit narrow I simply forced more sealant from the ~1/4 gap from the outside. All I need to do now is bond on some new trim or slice off the back of my original trim and bond that. This way I am certain I have a good seal and if ever I need to redo it I do not have the nightmare of removing the screen with the original clipped on trim.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Re: Windscreen install
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,February 08, 2022, 10:49:45 AM »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.