Author Topic: IN/OUT  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
IN/OUT
« on: Friday,May 25, 2018, 06:33:38 AM »
Im thinking of storing my Europa to a different location that is waiting to be built. My fear is that I wont be able to actually park the car.

Does anybody have any opinions?? I am restricted by the position of a tree, an adjacent sewer and changes in levels - so I cant modify much from this plan...

Thanks - Steve

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: IN/OUT
« Reply #1 on: Friday,May 25, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »
What is the surface of the driveway?

Soft, gravel, tarmac, concrete?

If it is hard, I would put the whole car on a wooden pallet trolley with 4 castor wheels, that way you can push it sideways, and around tight corners very easily.

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,May 26, 2018, 12:38:57 AM »
Thanks - it is concrete. Sounds like a nice idea - but there is quite a slope which adds to the complications - which could lead to a disaster! In fact apart from whether I can get the car in based on problems with what you can see on plan - Im not convinced it wont scrape on the ground because of changes in levels. At present it is stored in a Marley concrete garage - which gets a lot of condensation.

Perhaps I should look into trying to insulate that - and keep the car where it is. Insulation is expensive - and Im not convinced it might cause condensation within the structure...

Offline gideon

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,May 26, 2018, 04:28:41 AM »
 Can you put a dehumidifier in the Marley garage?

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,May 26, 2018, 04:55:24 AM »
Hello Steve,

I would consider an indoor Carcoon placed inside the garage with a dehumidifier inside it too (assuming you have power?)
The car will be protected and kept free from damp.

Mark

Offline cwtech

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,May 26, 2018, 06:18:39 AM »
Assuming the building to be built is on the right side of your drawing, can the new structure be built on a more suitable angle (relative to the car's path)?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,May 26, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
(part quote)
At present it is stored in a Marley concrete garage - which gets a lot of condensation. 
Perhaps I should look into trying to insulate that - and keep the car where it is. Insulation is expensive - and Im not convinced it might cause condensation within the structure...
If it's the same type that we had years ago (sectional concrete) then rather than insulate it I remember my dad telling me to make sure there was plenty of through ventilation. 

It's a similar problem to what I have now in one outbuilding - block construction with a corrugated iron roof which is capable of dripping all over you in the right weather conditions. It sounds crazy, but taking out the foam seals between the roof/wall tops has improved ventilation and reduced the drips quite well.

Brian

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #7 on: Sunday,May 27, 2018, 04:11:32 AM »
Moving the angle of the building would solve the problem - but would be too intrusive in the garden - so I am reluctant to do that. I think just using a dehumidifier in the existing garage that is not air tight would end up with me dehumidifying the whole planet.

Carcoon plus dehumidifier would probably work - but I have heard negative reports about these - and they are quite expensive for something that may not solve the problem. I did a test in the garage with some steel parts in an up turned plastic bag which didnt get any condensation on - so one option is to buy a tent with hoops to hold up over the car and hold down the edges with bricks. This is a larger version of what I did with the plastic bag.

The condensation is worse when the weather warms up after a cold snap - the car is cold - but the warm air carries moisture. In theory if the warm air cant get to the cold car - then that should solve it. It wouldnt matter how cold the car was.

I agree about through ventilation. I did wonder about insulating it but allowing ventilation as well - but maybe that is a waste of time.

The truth is it is probably better to keep the car outside!

Offline gideon

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,May 27, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »
One of these options has to be better than storing it outside.  Since the new garage has yet to be built, I think you should do something now to fix the condensation problem in the Marley garage.  Either open it up to get sufficient through ventilation, or plug the biggest air leaks and run a dehumidifier.  It sounds like either option would be an improvement on the status quo.

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #9 on: Monday,May 28, 2018, 08:31:23 AM »
I am tending to think the best option will be improving the marley garage. I think it could be hell trying to manoeuvre the car to the location I favor. It could easily end up with scrapes on the car and a lot of swearing. I want life to get easier not harder - Thanks for your help...

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #10 on: Monday,June 04, 2018, 06:06:47 AM »
I have a set of hydraulic dollies which I bought off ebay.  They aren't cheap but they are fantastic and mean you can move the car in any direction easily by yourself.  If you do any work on your car you'll find them invaluable because you can move the car to either side of the garage easily.   

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,June 06, 2018, 02:59:06 AM »
Interesting - I have never seen hydraulic dollies. I will have a think about this. That would solve the problem I have with what you see on plan I enclosed - but I have some uncomfortable slopes in both direction which doesnt help...

Thanks for your help...