Author Topic: a pillar trims  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Gmg31

a pillar trims
« on: Friday,July 07, 2017, 09:29:18 AM »
When I rebuilt my interior I was frustrated that apparently there are no replacement or upgraded A pillar trim panels.  Initially I just trimmed with leather cloth but it looked awful.  So today I pulled out the dashboard and crash pad and had another go.  I went to my local carpet shop and begged a carpet pole and made these. The carpet pole is quite sturdy and gives a nice gentle curve. 

Offline BDA

Re: a pillar trims
« Reply #1 on: Friday,July 07, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
That looks great!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Friday,July 07, 2017, 10:22:59 PM »
That is very imaginative and a great example of how you can overcome problems in DIY trimming with a bit of sideways thinking.

The sun visors look new, did you manage to find NOS or retrim the old ones ? Whatever, they look far better than mine did !  Second question - how are you going to finish the front of the headlining at the screen ?  I really should renew the headlining in my car but don't want to take the screen out or start the job until I can figure a neat way of concealing where the front end is stuck down.

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,July 08, 2017, 03:05:35 AM »
Nicely done! I don't know what a carpet pole is, can you explain or show a photo of it?

Offline Europa73

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,July 08, 2017, 09:00:35 AM »
Looks great -

The sun visors do look very good - can you share what you did with them or where they came from?

Thanks.
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #5 on: Monday,July 10, 2017, 05:18:19 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments

A carpet pole is the cardboard tube inside a new rolled up carpet with a diameter of about 5" a bit like a Huge toilet roll tube. They are very light and flexible   and easy to work with.

I had the sun visors re trimmed  by my local auto trimmer, he also made the headlining for me too.

I have searched on trim and seals sites like www.sealsdirect.co.uk for a J profile trim to tuck under the screen and over the edge of the headlining buy they don't seem to make one.  I have decided to buy a large U profile and remove one side with s sharp blade and thus create a J profile.  It will require a good coat of impact adhesive so it sticks first time.