Author Topic: Fitting bumpers on fresh paint  (Read 621 times)

Offline Europa73

Fitting bumpers on fresh paint
« on: Thursday,June 15, 2017, 07:42:59 AM »
Hi all,

I am about to fit my bumpers on the car - but - as you can imagine rather nervous about fitting them directly to the fresh paint. :help:

Has anyone out there put any kind of spacer or something between the bumper and paint to protect it?

Cheers,
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6

Offline BDA

Re: Fitting bumpers on fresh paint
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,June 15, 2017, 07:47:45 AM »
I didn't use any spacers and had no problems.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,June 15, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »
I didn't use spacers either although I was careful about how I tightened the bolts up. On my car the front bumper makes no interference with the paintwork so all I needed to do was set it on squarely and tighten up slowly. I think I had the front grille removed at the time which made access for the nuts easier.  (as an aside, I now have the front grille on swivel mounts at the bottom and cable tied at the top, which means it is very easily laid flat for access to the front undertray bolts)

The rear bumper meets the bodywork at either end, I don't know if this is just my car or them all but it means I need to be careful fitting it. To be honest the interference is minimal and you would need to look very closely but there are marks where it was first fitted due to the cellulose paint being soft. You may have better fortune with modern paints but on my last respray I left the outer bolts slack until the paint had fully hardened. The bumper wasn't going to move or vibrate but the bolts were only just past finger tight.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,June 15, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
I used rubber sheeting and gasket hole punches to make rubber washers .  Keeps the edge of the bumper slightly off the body work.

Offline Europa73

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,June 15, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
thx all.
also restoring 69 Elan +2 and driving a 1975 TR6