Author Topic: John Pel motor mount pattern location  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Runningwild

John Pel motor mount pattern location
« on: Thursday,November 17, 2016, 01:45:15 PM »
I'm installing  a 4age/ng3 in my 68 S2. I have the John Pel / Dave L. Kit  the instructions say to place the pattern inside the chassis next to the motor mount support. My car has those mounts on the outside of the chassis. As you see in the photos, the passenger side has that little bracket mounted near by.
Question-  do I line up on the outside of the chassis next to the supports and cut off that little bracket?  The motor mount support is the only constant that I can measure from. Not sure if inside and outside are the same on all cars?

Offline blasterdad

Re: John Pel motor mount pattern location
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 17, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »
I'm installing  a 4age/ng3 in my 68 S2. I have the John Pel / Dave L. Kit  the instructions say to place the pattern inside the chassis next to the motor mount support. My car has those mounts on the outside of the chassis. As you see in the photos, the passenger side has that little bracket mounted near by.
Question-  do I line up on the outside of the chassis next to the supports and cut off that little bracket?  The motor mount support is the only constant that I can measure from. Not sure if inside and outside are the same on all cars?

It appears to me you are doing it correctly, the template says against reinforcement plate, & judging by the size of the template it wouldn't fit inside the frame rail anyway...
I just went & looked at mine, (71 S2) & it also has the reinforcement plates on the outside....
It also has the little bracket thingie on the passenger side...
So, that is as close as I can come to answering your Question if they are all the same.(S2'S).
My body is still on the frame & it looks like all the bracket thingie does is give additional support to the fiberglass where the battery sits...?
So no big deal if you do have to cut it off... :P
I couldn't tell by your pic because of the tape over the passenger side template holes, but could you cut the template, (bracket thingie side) to to fit between them & still retain all 4 holes on the template...?
If not, I would try to call them to clarify their  :headbanger: directions.

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,November 17, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »
Thanks. I did email Dave but put it out to him and both forums to see what others had done. I'll post the information.

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #3 on: Friday,November 18, 2016, 07:40:02 AM »
Talked to John and he did confirm that it's ok to measure from the outside of the chassis

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #4 on: Friday,November 18, 2016, 04:05:47 PM »
 :pirate:  :welder:
Cool, Looking forward to pics of it mounted in your frame!!!  8)