Author Topic: Non traditional dashboard discuss  (Read 915 times)

Offline Gmg31

Non traditional dashboard discuss
« on: Sunday,November 13, 2016, 05:54:56 AM »
I've stripped down my dashboard and it's in very poor condition. Obviously I can replace it but there are now so few original parts on my car I was thinking of redesigning it.  I don't know what the original designer was thinking but they really are a mish mash of switches in odd directions with little thought to ergonomics. So my thoughts are to fill the switch slots,wrap the dash and then fill the radio slot with a blank and have a nice row of toggles switches. I guess a lot of people would be screaming right now, nooooo keep it original but your views and opinions are welcome.

Online BDA

Re: Non traditional dashboard discuss
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,November 13, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »
I'm not screaming. I think you should make yourself happy and post pictures!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 13, 2016, 08:45:44 AM »
The Elan S3 had toggle switches, so if you want that period mid-60s look, why not ?  The switches are in  a wooden dash but the back of each switch is cut away because there's a limit to the thread on the Lucas toggle switches. If you used a metal plate for the radio blank and switch panel, you'd be fine.

Brian

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 13, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »
Myself........I'm in the process of also doing a "redesign"..Plans so far.....
Center the speedo & tach on the steering column
Move the location of the amp/oil/water/fuel gauges to where I want them
Relocate & update the rocker switches
Add some additional controls, ie. electric E-brake, 12V & USB outlets, embedded iPad (GPS, WiFi, Start/Stop engine, HVAC controls, Bluetooth, Telephone, radio, etc.)
Delete ashtray
Glovebox for storage of paperwork, do-dads, trinkets, and what-nots...probably add a door.
Love to put a very thin, narrow small non-evasive overhead console to house interior lighting, radar/laser, garage door opener, etc.....So far haven't found a suitable transplant......may have to fabricate or just say the hell with it and integrate the controls into the iPad and blah blah blah....
Still have to decide what finish....leaning towards wood, because I want the insets on the door panels, as wheel as the steering wheel to all be of the same finish.......but then again maybe leather. And now I am introducing a full roll cage so that the car will very capable of being a track car....that adds another "structure to deal with integrating as "non-invasive" as I can come up with.

But yeah the dash is the center piece I feel of the interior........I've got a lot on my plate to try an bring the car into the 21st century, yet also try to keep the 60's-70's cool.......I don't even no if I have the vision/imagination to make it work........time and $$$$ will tell....... :huh:

Me
« Last Edit: Sunday,November 13, 2016, 05:21:53 PM by kerrywittig »

Offline StephenH

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 14, 2016, 03:50:37 AM »
I'm one for maintaining the spirit of the period rather than a faithful restoration to 100% original.
So in my opinion go for it and make it useable and practical, just don't fill the dash full of touch screens.

My S2 has a leather faced dash with largely original layout, but I have recently moved the ignition key to the centre console (where I could actually reach it) and ditched the high tech stereo (that I couldn't hear over the Webers...).
If doing a resto I would keep to period looking instruments and controls but place them where they are practical.
If I wanted an original spec classic, to be honest I wouldn't have a Europa.
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 14, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »
I also will eventually embark on a re-do of the dash, and will be taking the opportunity to make any changes that I feel will be convenient. I like the period feel as well, and there will be nothing electronic in my car, but I would like to rearrange the gauges as well as adding a couple. All switches will be tidy toggle switches arranged in a row, possibly on the console (which I will be building) in the vicinity of the ashtray. In order to get the gauge layout I want, the heater controls will have to be moved, and that could be a pain.

Other changes will be a glove box door (with period type fittings) and the integration of a decent map light. My car is still very original, but I drive it so changes that accommodate the driving aspect are appreciated. Personally I am not opposed to change but like to keep things period in look and feel. I am looking forward to seeing the dash work you propose.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Clifton

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,November 15, 2016, 03:17:26 PM »
I wasn't crazy about the wood look. I wrapped my face and top in black vinyl. I'm more than happy with how it turned out.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,November 17, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »
I would say I like both the old and the updated looks.  To me it has to suit the character of the car.  A stock car deserves a stock dash but for a car that is tastefully modified for speed I like the idea of a carbon fibre dash with Stack gauges and those nice one touch buttons like you get in the new high spec Caterhams.  To me that fits the character of the car but updates the looks to the modern age. 
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter