Author Topic: Choke cable  (Read 2736 times)

Offline phil

Choke cable
« on: Monday,December 07, 2015, 08:39:17 AM »
Hello All

I need to replace my choke cable as it will not lock into position, cant seem to find a new one anywhere, are they re-furbishable?

Regards    Phil
1972 TC

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Choke cable
« Reply #1 on: Monday,December 07, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
Hi Phil,

Mine doesn't lock perfectly either but that could well be my fault.  I replaced the wire a year or so ago by soldering in a new one so that part is definitely do-able. Locking improved after that, but I think it was mainly down to making sure the fixed part on the bracket was very tightly fastened so it couldn't rotate rather than anything else.  Now if I concentrate I can get it to work, but I'm sure it should be easier than it is.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,December 07, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »
Locking choke cables are readily available from British sports car parts suppliers.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Monday,December 07, 2015, 09:53:48 PM »
Locking choke cables are readily available from British sports car parts suppliers.

The snag is though that so far I haven't seen one with the same pattern as the OEM knob, they're mostly different shapes or motifs.  I'm not too hung up on originality but in this case as it's alongside the heater knob I wanted to keep them looking fairly similar. At one point I did consider buying a new one for the 60s mini and trying a transplant job, but in the end I just went the easiest route and replaced the inner & outer cable.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,December 08, 2015, 12:36:20 AM »
Hello Phil, there is a cable that is as near to the original as you could wish to get. I stumbled on the web site by luck. I can not find the invoice but I will keep looking. They are over near Manchester if I remember and it was a good price. Ill have another dig around this evening. Watch this space.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,December 08, 2015, 03:55:18 AM »
Hello Phil, It was still in the inbox in my e mail.
the part I ordered was
CXE022                 Choke cable with lockable -            1       £15.95       £15.95
                        knob (O.E. specification)
and the contact details are
Sincerely,
Classic Car Accessories

1. Ballycreen
Off Manchester Road
Castleton, Greater Manchester
OL11 3JP
United Kingdom
01706 657713
e.mcewen@zen.co.uk

If you look on line for Classic Car Accessories they should pop up. It was just over £3 p and p  The cable is long enough, pretty much looks like the real thing, its the same size as the heater control and visual;y it looks right
all the best
Stuart

Offline phil

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,December 08, 2015, 05:32:23 AM »
Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for digging the info out for me, much appreciated.

Will get one ordered.

Regards    Phil

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,December 08, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »
Hi Phil, that's the beauty of this community. As I said I came across the site by chance. I'm happy with it hope you are. Happy choking
all the best
Stuart

Offline phil

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,December 09, 2015, 08:44:57 AM »
Hello Stuart,
I love the Forum, really essential but I still have lots of things to sort on the TC as you can imagine, I am trying to get it as original as poss, I still need a jacking kit (got the tool roll). I have also seen on some Europas a sticker in the glove box re. tyre sizes / pressures etc, not sure if the TC had one though?
Im sure that when made they would also have had various decals in the engine compartment but I cant seem to find any pictures or details anyehere.
I also have a Ferrari 308GTB and the info for that model is really plentiful, but a little over the top sometimes, even the minutest detail is discussed in length!
Regards   & thanks

Phil

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,December 09, 2015, 09:00:08 AM »
I have also seen on some Europas a sticker in the glove box re. tyre sizes / pressures etc, not sure if the TC had one though?
Im sure that when made they would also have had various decals in the engine compartment but I cant seem to find any pictures or details anywhere.
I also have a Ferrari 308GTB and the info for that model is really plentiful, but a little over the top sometimes, even the minutest detail is discussed in length!
Hi Phil,

Mine is a 1 owner car (I'm the 2nd) and it didn't have any stickers on the glove box compartment at all. It's a 72TC and the original owner didn't even fit radio speakers to the car so I presume it came without them.  It might be the later TCS cars, or maybe just export models that had them fitted ?

If you're looking for details on the Europa, it isn't as well served as the Elans but has equal controversy about what was fitted when, just typical Lotus really. There are the Brooklands road tests as basic reference but the most detailed book I've got is the one by Robinshaw & Francis, a slim paperback volume entitled "The Lotus Europa".

Brian

ps - a 308GTB sounds just the sort of thing for nipping down to the chippy and getting them back before they go cold.....   :)