Author Topic: Starter motor issue  (Read 2340 times)

Offline vito84

Starter motor issue
« on: Sunday,August 23, 2015, 07:24:25 AM »
Hi guys

Last Friday I was checking the oil level on my Europa. Unfortunately when I removed the oil dipstick I touched the positive of my battery with the chassis make a short circuit.....After this bad situation I tried to start the car but nothing was working. The fuse are ok so I've removed the starter motor to test it(it function!). When I refitted the starter motor I notice that the potential difference at the solenoid wasn't 12Volt so I think that the positive battery cable is gone. I've changed it but when I turn the key to start the car I hear a noise like a tac-tac but the flywheel doesn't turns.
What could be the problem?

P.s.   Today is my first year with the Europa so I share to you a pictures of my Lotus (the brown car is a new arrival 8) 8)  )
https://www.facebook.com/lotuseuropatwincamrestorationproject
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Starter motor issue
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 23, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »
Have you checked the voltage at the battery?

Nice Plus 2 by the way.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,August 23, 2015, 07:56:25 AM »
Check and clean the connections:

- at the battery

- negative battery cable connection at the frame

- on the ground cable from the chassis to the engine.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,August 23, 2015, 08:32:46 AM »
My guess is either a battery connection or the battery itself is the problem.

I had a problem with my starter last night. The previous owner has surrounded the solenoid in a crinkly metal heat shield. I must have knocked this on to the solenoid power connection as when I tried to start it on the key, nothing happened. Luckily I did not keep the key turned, or I would have burned out the wiring. I pushed the heat shield away, and problem solved.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,August 23, 2015, 08:51:45 AM »
A clicking when you turn the key sounds as if the starter solenoid is trying to work but there's not enough power in the battery to turn the engine over. 

My first port of call would be a voltage check on the battery, it should be around 12.6 but the exact number depends on the type of battery you have. If it's lower then it means the battery isn't fully charged and around 12.0 it's clearly well down. I don't have a table of voltage vs %charge handy but from memory if you're above 12.5 you should be ok. Wikipedia will no doubt give you the proper numbers.

If the battery looks ok then I tend to look at what I've done last - in your case removing the starter for testing. So look at the connection of the main lead from the battery to solenoid, then if only to rule it out, check the earth return. The simplest way is to unbolt, clean and remake the connections.

With any luck that'll get you started. Let's know how you get on.....

Brian

Offline vito84

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,August 23, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »
I've changed the negative battery wire because wasn't in good condition and after that i've removed the starter motor in order to clean the connections. Then I've tried the starter motor on the test bench connecting directly the battery to the motor and it function very well but when I've refitted the motor to the car it make again the same noise.
The voltage at the solenoid connection was 12.59 V therefore potential difference is good.
I don't understand why the starter motor doesn't turn the flywheel

Thank you however for all your advice

Edo
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #6 on: Monday,August 24, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »
You may want to try bypassing the ignition switch and use a remote starter jumper with a pushbutton to bump the motor. This setup applies full battery voltage to the solenoid and should tell you if the internal contacts of the solenoid are good or needs cleaning.

Historically, this issue with the starter motor has afflicted many Europa owners. There was a thread about this several years ago on the Yahoo list. All four of the Europas that I've owned have had this problem. It was a crap shoot whether the engine would turn over or I would just hear the click of the solenoid when I turned the ignition switch on. Just this year, I installed a remote start relay to two of my Europas, a twin cam and a S2, and so far for the first time ever,  both now start the first time every time.

I'm just wondering how many of you have or had this issue with intermittent starter motor problem.

Offline vito84

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,August 25, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi guys

This morning I've cleaned all the solenoid contact, refitted it to the starter motor and after that the car finally start! I think there wasn't enough current that came trough the solenoid so now the problem is solve.

Thank you to all for your help and support. :)

Edo
Lotus Europa TC
Lotus Elan S2
Lotus Elan +2
Lotus Elise S1
Lotus Esprit S1

Offline 3929R

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,August 25, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
I'm just wondering how many of you have or had this issue with intermittent starter motor problem.
When I had starter trouble, I punted and put in a new gear reduction starter. http://www.britishstarters.com/Lotus.html
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA