Author Topic: Experieces in Racing an Europa  (Read 62983 times)

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
Re: Experieces in Racing an Europa
« Reply #180 on: Thursday,September 11, 2014, 10:58:13 PM »
Hey boys,

i use the clutch only while shifting. on one occasion i had To shift without clutch, because the cable got loose. upshift was no big deal, but i had some problems with the double-declutching. staying on the clutch while braking is a thing my ex-girlfriend did. i am a little Bit disappointed that you think, i would drive like her :-D

@Serge: i really like your solution for a better engine and gearbox mounting. i think, if they are reliable, they are perfect for Europa race cars.

regards

Stefan

Offline BDA

« Reply #181 on: Friday,September 12, 2014, 06:08:35 AM »
It definitely sounds like you had your hands full! Glad to hear you ditched the chick who couldn't use the clutch properly!  ;D

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
Hi boys,

we had our final race of the season at the Nürburgring last weekend. 4h race into the dark. We had two qualifying sessions without any problems. I had to do the first stint and was very very careful while driving the first corner of the first lap, because it's a hairpin, which follows to the longest straight. At the start lots of guys had trouble with reacting to the lights properly and because of that I gained around six positions before the first corner, from which I lost four through the rest of the first lap due to my cautinousness. But I was already winning back one of them, before I missed my braking point. That meant, I would not miss a contact with a Porsche 911 driver in front of me :( Oh deer, I f**ked it up. Completely. I thought, I threw the whole 4h-race away in the second lap. I came slowly into the pits. I could already see a damaged wheel-arche from the driver's seat and feel that the car wanted to steer to the left on its own.

When I came in, I was so ashamed of what I did. I jumped out of the car, answered the obligatory questions and started to remove the wheel. I saw the lower wishbones and the rear one looked really bad. The upper ones were completely OK and after removing the damper, I saw that the front lower wishbone was OK, as well. My father flattened it almost perfectly and I started to reassemble the front suspension. Both left wheel-arches got a treatment with gaffer-tape. After about 40 minutes of repairing, I could go out again for another ten laps until the first regular pit-stop. I tested, If the car was driveable and I saw that it was. The front suspension was a bit out of adjustment, which lead to a bit of understeer. When I won back some of my confidence in the car I was able to drive one brisk lap, but still far away from what I had done with an undamaged car. 2:37,1 min is about 5 seconds away from the limit, I think.

After that, I gave the car to my father, who also had to gain confidence, but constantly gained time. The third stint was my brother's, who had to drive into the dark, which was a problem because of the bad adjustment of the headlights. But both brought it home brilliantly and finished 3rd in class.

With the points for the third place we overtook the Ford GT40 in the championship standings. And we were already second in the Division standings after the race at Zolder. The Swiss with the three great race cars gets only points for the car, he entered at the beginning of the year (Ginetta G12), because the regulations say, a team consists of 1 - 3 drivers and ONE car. If you take another car, although your entered car is ok, you make yourself a guest driver, who is not allowed to score points. If your car is irreparably damaged, you can race another car, which belongs to the same class.

I think, we don't have to be ashamed of being Champion in this Division, because we scored the points and Felix knew that he won't, if he comes with his newest toy. He had a similar situation last year.

This is the provisional (until the official confirmation) result of the Championship after the last of four races:

Dunlop FHR Long Distance Cup 2014 Division III (Two-Seater Racing Cars):

1. Lotus Europa    13,5 points from 3 races ->                          2nd race: (3/6),     3rd race: (2/2), 4th race: (3/3)
2. Ford GT40         13 points from 3 races ->    1st race: (1/1), 2nd race: (DNF/6), 3rd race: (1/1)
3. Ginetta G12        7 points from 2 races ->    1st race: (1/1), 2nd race: (DNF/6)
4. Porsche 907       6 points from 1 race ->      1st race: (1/1)

The numbers in brackets are (place/number of starters in class) for each race.

I think, this is a great succes for our team, if you keep in mind that our car is completely out of place in this Division.  :trophy:

P.S.: Have a look at the race and the damage of out little Lotus at my website http://www.europa-racing.de.to.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
Well done.    :beerchug:

From reading your posts during the year we all know that you and the rest of the team have been working hard and it's good that you're finally getting recognition for those efforts, it sort of makes it all worthwhile. 

And the part about repairing the car, straightening a wishbone in the pits whilst the race went on, that's the stuff of champions. So a well deserved success that you should all be very proud of.

Brian

ps - colour-matched green gaffer tape ? Anyone would think you were expecting "modifications"   ;)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #184 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 05:11:30 PM »
Congratulations!  Hard work, perseverance and consistency win the day.

Offline BDA

« Reply #185 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
Way to go, guys!!! That's the way not to give up. As Brian said, having the correct color racing tape shows real class!

Now it's time to get ready for next year (after a short rest)! Next year will be better, I'm sure! I can't wait to hear about it!
 :lotus:

Offline StephenH

« Reply #186 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 08:08:32 PM »
Well done  :beerchug: :trophy:

I did see the pictures and story on Facebook, but my German isn't so good and I missed the level of success you achieved.
Don't worry about the minor damage, will look even better with new paint  :welder:
Stephen
54/1690 1969 S2

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday,October 07, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »
The level of success is still provisional. I am not completely convinced that the Director of the race series wants us to be the Champion of the Two-Seater Racing Car Division, because we have no class win. But we scored well in the most important race at Spa, where all the others retired and finished in three races. No one else achieved that and that's why I think we deserve the title. It is an endurance race series and to finish first, first you have to finish.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday,October 08, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »
I am not completely convinced that the Director of the race series wants us to be the Champion of the Two-Seater Racing Car Division, because we have no class win.

I don't see how anyone can stop you. You're top of the points table and supposedly they award points to decide the overall season winner.

It shouldn't matter if you finish last in every race as long as you get enough points to come top. As you say "to come first, first you've got to finish the race". If another competitor wins a race then breaks down in the next one so that you overtake them on points, well, that's what reliability and endurance racing is all about.  It's not drag racing or hill climbing where the best solo time wins, it's a series of events.

And you...  :trophy:

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #189 on: Monday,October 20, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
It happened exactly like I thought it would. They searched for a constellation, which makes Felix Haas win and they found one. They took the Ginetta out of the standings and the Chevron in. At the end of the season. I think this is not fair, but that's how it works. The official closing date for the entry of the season was in February or March, but money makes the world go round.

At the end of the PDF you can see what I mean: http://fhr-online.de/cms/upload/Downloads/2014_Serienausschreibung/HLC_Punkte_2014_nach_7_Division.pdf

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #190 on: Monday,October 20, 2014, 01:45:52 PM »
Ok, I was wrong because apparently they can stop you winning. So simple that I should have thought of it - invent a time machine, go back 9 months and change the entries.

Personally I wouldn't want to accept a trophy if I had to go to those measures and in accepting the championship does no credit to the team or competition itself.  Just looking at the cars you're up against says you and your team have done remarkably well and in the place that matters (the race track) your competitors will know that as well.

Very sad to hear that news, you guys must feel awful.  All I can say is  "Illegitimi non carborundum". (yes, I know it's not really Latin, but it gets the point across  ;)  )

Brian

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday,October 21, 2014, 07:36:41 AM »
Yes, sad to hear you have been bumped from the top. In my book you guys are the real champs  :trophy: . You have been doing a great job, and flying the 'Europa' banner high and proud. It must be very exciting sharing a track with cars the caliber of a GT40, especially when those tracks are the likes of Spa, Nurburgring, etc. Congratulations on a great year. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #192 on: Tuesday,October 21, 2014, 08:51:36 AM »
Hey Mecky,

It sounds like you were beaten by politics. For some reason, Lotus seems to attract stuff like that. Something similar happened to Doc Bundy when he was driving the Lotus Esprit X180R in IMSA in the '90s. They kept beating the Porsches and IMSA kept adding weight to the Esprit even though it had a smaller motor.

You all did great in a car that was outclassed (do I remember correctly that you are not allowed to run slicks???) and you showed very well in spite of the advantages other cars had. Your team have a reason to be disappointed  about the outcome but you shouldn't feel bad about how well you did.

Good luck in your future endeavors!  :beerchug:

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
« Reply #193 on: Sunday,April 26, 2015, 06:02:49 AM »
Hey boys,

i can report from our first race of 2015 at Hockenheim. We went to the track with a freshly painted Europa, only the engine cover was missing. We lost it while transporting the car to the painter dew to strong wind :headbanger: But we got a completely new light weight one (4 kg). Now it is painted, as well, but in Hockenheim we had to use it in neutral collour.

It was a really tough weekend. We had so much trouble. After the first practice, the radiator leaked. Solved, but after the second session the gearbox had big problems. No gear could be shifted. A selector rod inside the gearbox was bent. We could solve that just in time for the start of the race, but for the fine adjustment of the gear shifting was not enough time. First was not useable while driving. But that is only an issue while starting from nought.

The race started quiet good and my brother had a long fight with a Porsche 911, but on the longest straight at about 200 kph the windshield and its frame lost connection. The wind blew under the roof and pulled it up fitfully. It took about 15 minutes to tape it carefully and he went on. He was able to lap in about 2:19 min.

Then I went out for the second part of the race and almost had a very low positioned pressure point at the brake pedal, which I was not used to. That happened, because we changed the brake balance with a much smaller rear master brake cylinder, which caused massively braking rears. The brakeshoes wear out over 1,5 h race distance and we could not adjust it in reasonable time. It took me a lot of time to gain confidence in the brake, but when I tried to brake later, I almost crashed into the back of a BMW 2002, which has much better brakes. So I gave up on late braking and focused on bringing it home.

But then I had a very miserable feeling. It felt like the front and rear end of the car were not connected anymore. The central nut of the stub axle went lose. I came slowly to the pits and we fixed it. We had to remove the old splint pin, which was cut of, but the middle part was still inside. That took another 15 minutes. The last part of the race was all about smooth driving. And a few minutes before the end I drove one quiet quick lap, just because I wanted to show at least half of the car's potential. I drove 2:14 min, after I rolled around the track at 2:21 min the 1,5 h before. I wanted just a little satisfaction :D But with a well adjusted brake balance and all my confidence in the car, I think 2:09 min is possible.

After the distance of three hours we finished 17th out of 40 cars and 1st in class.

You can have a look at some more pics at: www.facebook.com/yart.racing

Best regards

Stefan

Offline BDA

« Reply #194 on: Sunday,April 26, 2015, 09:10:39 AM »
Some of that sounded downright harrowing! Getting a first in class after all that is a great result! You also know some things to fix that should greatly improve the car. All in all, it was a really productive weekend! Congratulations!!  :trophy:  :beerchug:

It looks like you redesigned your flares. I think they look great! When you get the bodywork done and the paint on your boot lid, the car will look even better!

Keep up the great work!