Lotus Europa Forums > Garage

U joint removal? TC linkage

(1/3) > >>

cal44:
Can't figure out how to remove the old U-joint so that I can install the new one.  The pix show small washers tac welded into place, is this factory or did someone do this after the fact.  Because of the washers the body of the U-joint cannot be pressed either way.
Unless I am looking at this wrong. 

Any ideas?

Mike

cal44:
Me and my trusty hacksaw........got it.  Now, with the caps removed, installing the new u-joint won't fit in  the U so that the new caps can be pressed on.  damn.........it's always something.............

This ujoint came from one of the suppliers and is pre-assembled which is causing me a headache.  If it were in two separate pieces it would be much more simple.

EuropaTC:
Hi Mike,
Hmm, now that you've posted a picture I can see the problem, and if I'm honest I'm a bit stuck. I know I replaced the rear central spider as one of the first jobs after getting my car, but it's too long ago for me to remember details about doing it.  It could have been that my replacement joint was different because it almost certainly was a 1960/70s period manufacture as I'd have bought it from an autojumble. I just can't remember, but whatever the reason, it doesn't help us now.

So looking at that fork with the welded in washers, it does make me wonder if they were tack welded after assembly to allow a touch extra clearance when putting in the joint ?  I can't remember welding mine up, but then again I've forgotten far more important things over the last few years  ::)

I think I'd be tempted to take off the washers with a grinder because even if that doesn't work it's a reversible action and the car isn't going anywhere as it is !  I'll go down to the garage later on and take a look at my car to see if there's any sign that I ended up doing the same thing.

Brian

cal44:
Brian,

I'm thinking the same thing.  Since the new ujoint/housing cannot be taken apart, the washers seem too be the best choice for  removal.  I had another fellow contact me and mention the washers were also on his '73 TC.  So, I'm guessing is was a factory install.

But parts change........even at times for the better.  Soooo I will remove the washers and give it a go.  Will report back either way.

Mike

EuropaTC:
Any progress Mike ?  I had a look at my car and the washers are still in place.  I tried to take a photo, not so good as I've parked the lawn mower behind the car so it's a bit cramped. (and it's like a monsoon here at the moment so it's not the time for moving stuff about !)

I think I'd remember if I'd re-welded them so I'm beginning to think I did the job without removal. Looking at the universal joint, it's clearly different from your original and the replacement, so maybe that's how I managed it. Perhaps the bearing surfaces were slightly smaller or it was just an older joint assembled differently.  I'll try to attach some shots so you can see what I'm on about.

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version