Author Topic: Badged JPS Europa, Finding one.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline JeffBatt

Re: Badged JPS Europa, Finding one.
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,March 01, 2022, 06:14:17 AM »
Also, based on all my research and pre-resto photos, I know the interior was black.

Still not sure if I will go with the sports and classic palamino color, or just keep the original black, not sure to what degree that matters on these.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,March 01, 2022, 12:19:27 PM »
Nice Europa!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline JeffBatt

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,March 01, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Brian Robins

« Reply #18 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 06:24:00 AM »
That list showing the alleged JPS badged cars is highly suspect and very misleading.

For a start 2701R is recorded at Hethel as leaving the factory in Lagoon Blue. not a Black JPS special

Secondly, there were only 100 Black JPS special cars built, not all were exported to America.

The badges were not sent with the cars by the factory as claimed, thus the random association with chassis numbers.

I know Lotus was a rather chaotic organization at times, (I worked for them in the 70s) but their numbering system was fairly good as anyone who has stripped a Europa will testify from the chassis numbers and paint colour etc scratched or written on the shell, doors, dash etc to ensure the parts that had been fettled to fit were used in the final assembly line.

These badges were made/distributed by a well known East coast Lotus Importer to bolster sales, he seemed to have developed amnesia when he was quizzed about his involvement later in life, along with another dealer in Louisiana who added the badges, a pair of cufflinks, Rally Jacket and a key fob to sweeten the deal.

The UK cars that are claimed to be part of the 200 in the list probably had the badges fitted by the owners after a trip to Disney Land or someone has a 3d printer.

It is wrong to conflate the build sequence number that is well recorded and shown on certificates, with plastic badges that never came from Lotus. i.e. the 50th JPS special built  is not Ltd Edition #50 and so on. 

Sorry to be a party pooper gents.

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #19 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 07:59:04 AM »
JeffBatt You have a stunning looking special there.  I have a 74 Special in Black and hope to have a body restoration done in the next 5-10 years.  It is a fun weekend driver for the time being.

Can't wait to see you car finished and like many others here would agree we all like seeing more pictures!

Cheers,
Ross 
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Online dakazman

« Reply #20 on: Friday,March 04, 2022, 02:48:25 PM »
 Brian Robins,
  Thank you for the insight. That is what I’m looking for and the reason I started the thread.

Dakazman

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #21 on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 03:36:27 PM »

***DELETIA***

These badges were made/distributed by a well known East coast Lotus Importer to bolster sales, he seemed to have developed amnesia when he was quizzed about his involvement later in life, along with another dealer in Louisiana who added the badges, a pair of cufflinks, Rally Jacket and a key fob to sweeten the deal.

***DELETIA***

Sorry to be a party pooper gents.
Yeah, Lotus East tried everything they could to move units...I know mine is not an "official" JPS badged from the factory car...but the back story of having the dash emblem and a bunch of the JPS sweetners makes for a humorous side story to the car. 

Researching it further, turns out LE sold to a dealer in PA, and the original owner was hell-bent on having a JPS car, so LaMonsa Motors in Mahwah did a trade swap to get the JPS liveried vehicle (which is what I now own) up to northern NJ to accomplish the sale.  Happens all the time (I don't have the dealer-to-dealer transfer paperwork, but that's ok...the ID numbers match from Lotus East to the LaMonsa invoice to the first sale.

Still going to put the badge on the new dash when I get around to it.  Part of the history of the car, whether it reflects what the factory really intended...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Online dakazman

« Reply #22 on: Sunday,March 19, 2023, 06:02:15 PM »
  Thanks Bryan for the clarification.
Dakazman