Author Topic: 1973 Europa Special restoration help  (Read 2454 times)

Offline John R

1973 Europa Special restoration help
« on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 08:33:32 AM »
I'm in the process of restoring the Europa special and but i'm having a problem locating a good photo of the original inside arrangements (servo, spare wheel etc) under the bonnet/hood. Can someone help? Many thanks

Offline Dilkris

Re: 1973 Europa Special restoration help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »
There are a multitude of photo's on this forum which will satisfy your requirements - just get comfortable and surf through it - you will learn so much on the way.

Not wishing to show favoritism in any way - the following may help you in appreciating what is ahead of you - as advised above, there are many other similar photographic records you can find on the forum     

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOF7peFDeR7jZ1MnMiV-2qiuefDwlLuCurNiAeMoWI5qnzmWu4Aoc3ebsGNKFGAWw?key=R3BVUElCcTVjZzVFYTVSTEczaV8tUk1UT3UtVThn

Hope it helps - get ready to be asked for photographs of your build - the forum loves photos.  :Welcome:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 09:09:53 AM »
I can't help with the photo because I've not owned my car from new, but I can help with the suggestion that perhaps the Brooklands series of road tests on the cars might help ?  They don't scan so well but with an original you might be able to make out enough detail to get an idea.

Brian

(I've bought them all over the years, the best in terms of reproduction is probably the latest one, "Lotus Europa Gold Portfolio" which I think also includes some of the articles that appeared in earlier issues)

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 11:47:11 AM »
The spare tire goes down in front of the front trunk on the left side. On my car, there is a threaded bobbin on the floor that accepts a long bolt with a big washer. The wheel goes in upside down (you'll end up viewing the back of the wheel). When the bolt was tightened, the washer engaged the center of the wheel (alloy). The owners manual shows a different arrangement (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcowner/index.htm). The first one has the picture of the spare in place.

I finally found a decent picture of where and how the boosters are mounted - see below. Most people either go with a smaller master cylinder or use the more modern Lockheed boosters. I have those boosters but I mounted them behind the rear wheels.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,December 20, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »
If it's a UK Special, it will have single circuit brakes and a single servo/booster, fitted in the same location.

Offline John R

« Reply #5 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 12:01:38 AM »
Thanks to all for the assistance.

As I have a UK Special, I will relocate the servo to the front if that's where it was originally.

Cheers

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #6 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 12:47:03 AM »
Hello John R

:Welcome:

Mark

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #7 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 12:49:09 AM »
Thanks to all for the assistance.

As I have a UK Special, I will relocate the servo to the front if that's where it was originally.

Cheers
Whoa there ! 
The servo should be in the engine bay, these guys are all talking about the spare wheel and other junk. This photo is from 1989 where I mounted the replacement on mine, the same place as the original Girling was.

If you mount the sero in the front you've got a longer run for the vac. tube and although it's a pure guess I think it might reduce the effectiveness or speed of response ?

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #8 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 01:40:49 AM »
As EuropaTC said (and I implied above). UK Specials had the Servo mounted in the rear of the engine compartment in front of the luggage tray. There is a picture of my engine compartment in the halfway down the thread here-->http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=3253.msg33085#msg33085
The servo can be seen in the bottom left of the shot. I believe the layout is pretty much original - just some different colour choices from the previous owner.

Offline John R

« Reply #9 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 08:12:44 AM »
OK it's going back in the engine bay!

Many thanks

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Monday,December 21, 2020, 08:43:08 AM »
You didn't really want to run a vacuum line from the engine to the front of the car, did you?

Offline John R

« Reply #11 on: Monday,December 28, 2020, 08:55:43 AM »
The photo album is very useful. Even found one showing that the longer engine support bracket goes on the LHS which saved me having to ask the question. Many thanks

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #12 on: Monday,December 28, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
Would you mind posting that photo is it's what I am looking for and couldn't find it.

Offline John R

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,December 29, 2020, 02:49:00 AM »
Here you go....

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #14 on: Thursday,January 21, 2021, 08:23:26 AM »
FYI, I have a Federal TCS and I mounted my Lockheed boosters in the left front trunk under the left headlight.  I ran a 3/8" ss line from the engine to the boosters.  It has worked great for twenty years.   I have a filter and check valve feeding the 3/8" line at the engine manifold vacuum port.

I could never figure out an elegant way to mount the Lockheed boosters in the same place as the Girling boosters, so I came up with this solution.