Author Topic: New member ... Texas  (Read 590 times)

Offline vh2q

• Whitworth Arms
New member ... Texas
« on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 12:05:02 PM »
Located near Brownwood .. middle of the State in what they call the "donut hole". Europa on my bucket list. But since I am 5 11 and weigh 240, I have the obvious concern. If anyone in the vicinity has a car they would let me get into, I would be most appreciative. I do go into the DFW area about once a month which may be the only way to achieve this, as I doubt there is a Lotus within 100 miles of me! I am thinking TC as that seems to be the "desirable" model and the extra HP may be necessary to propel my fat derrier. I won't be ready to make a purchase until the fall but if anyone comes across a car in this "neck of the woods" I would appreciate the lead. Thinking I am going to need AC so that probably narrows the field way down.

Offline Chuck Nukem

Re: New member ... Texas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 12:14:31 PM »
Howdy! Best place would be sports car world. They have several cars in various states of disrepair which you might be able to test fit. 2503 Butler St, Dallas, TX 75235 (972) 620-7285

I would offer mine, but it currently has no interior. I have a friend who is 6'3" and he fits in the TCS without too much trouble. Waist size is an important indicator along with shoe size.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »
Thinking I am going to need AC so that probably narrows the field way down.

If that's a deal killer, you may never find one. Good luck though. There's a Europa facebook group too. May find a local on there.

Offline Sandyman

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »
I am 6 ft. and was 240 during the mid covid times. If your feet are bigger than size 9 narrow or racing shoes are required.
Sandy

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 12:27:22 PM »
Thinking I am going to need AC so that probably narrows the field way down.

If that's a deal killer, you may never find one. Good luck though. There's a Europa facebook group too. May find a local on there.

The owner of SCW actually has 2 TCS europas with AC there. Neither are for sale unfortunately. I'm toying with the idea of making an AC kit for our cars as blasphemous as it is.... I recently had to drive around in a truck with no AC to Oklahoma and back... On the plus side I weigh slightly less now.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »
I'm 6'1" and 205# and don't have too much trouble (though I did add some head room to my car!) A lot depends on where you are tall but I would think that at 5'11", your height should not be a problem. I don't think your weight would be a problem in and of itself. A certain amount of flexibility is very helpful though but where there is a will to get into and out of a Europa, there is most likely a way - within certain parameters, of course. Sandyman reminds me that for some, the size of their feet is a limitation. I have 10 1/2 feet and I have to wear moccasins or driving shoes. I cannot wear most sneakers to drive. If you have size 13 EEE, you will have a hard time.

The A/C requirement is going to require a little more motivation. When TCs were new, there was a kit to add A/C. I'm sure that company is no longer in business and I think you're not likely to find one of those kits at all much less in usable condition. But learning about it does provide a path to follow. Then, with all the hot rods around, there are lots of places that sell small units you should be able to install in a Europa with a little imagination for where and how to put things. Unfortunately, a kit is very unlikely. Of course, this will probably make it a little bit of a pricey proposition. There are a few guys on this forum who have A/C in their Europa and might be able to offer some guidance. After that, a light color car with a light color cloth interior helps a lot. I know a little bit about the heat in Texas and I will admit that even with that, you would want to do as little driving in the summer and likely some of spring and fall!

As for desirability, everybody seems to have their favorite. I prefer the TC body but a lot of people like the cleaner lines of the S2 and then there are different S2 and S1 bodies that some prefer. With the right engine, an S2 could perform very close to a TC.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,July 15, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »
  I'm 5'11" but with a size 11eee shoe.  driving shoes required.

TC sp came with AC as an option, and , Yes you want it.

:Welcome:

Dakazman

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #7 on: Friday,July 16, 2021, 05:21:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your search.  :beerchug:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #8 on: Friday,July 16, 2021, 03:01:52 PM »
Just for interest,I think this is one of the AC cars

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #9 on: Monday,July 19, 2021, 05:17:51 AM »
Hello vh2q,

:Welcome:

Mark