Author Topic: Resto project done right  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Resto project done right
« Reply #15 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »
I have read somewhere that the deck lid vents were redesigned/relocated when the rear sail panels were cut down for the TC variant, so as to maintain their function with respect to the slightly altered aerodynamics.

As for effectiveness, maybe it's time for a yarn test. Curiosity is piqued, now. Once mine is making noise again, I'm going to give this a try. I'll report back, but it won't be until spring at the earliest, so don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: Friday,October 30, 2020, 07:43:34 AM by Bainford »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #16 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 08:25:30 AM »
Looking at the pictures of this car and others.  I have seen the water deflector installed when people have changed to aftermarket filters on the weber cars as rain will soak the air filters if a deflector isn't in place.

That is a wonderful looking car!  I hope mine comes out that nice one day.
R
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 08:27:21 AM »
I did a yarn test on my TC. The yarn went straight up from the boot lid vent at about 30 mph. I also have louvers next to the license plate that were intended to be exhaust for my oil cooler. The yarn there was ambiguous. There was no real strong direction there (I probably maxed out at 50 mph in my test). Sometimes the yarn would go in a bit and sometimes out a bit.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #18 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
As for effectiveness, maybe it's time for a yarn test. Curiosity is piqued, now. Once mine is making noise again, I'm going to give this a try. I'll report back, but it won't be until spring at the earliest, so don't hold your breath.

I'd be interested to see that yarn test when you get around to it.
I found that with the rear boot / trunk removed, the air seemed to go out through the rear grill of the S2.

There's also something odd going on at the rear. On the S2, many people complain about exhaust gases "dirtying up" the rear bumper. I can only guess the exhaust swirls about on exit.
Of course, on a TC, the exhaust exits lower down.

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 10:32:12 AM »
Here's the video of the yarn attached to the boot lid vent grille: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHFg4q7jxA

If you want, I'll upload the video of the yarn attached to the louvers on the back of my car but I suspect an S2 would be quite different.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #20 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
I did a yarn test on my TC. The yarn went straight up from the boot lid vent at about 30 mph. I also have louvers next to the license plate that were intended to be exhaust for my oil cooler. The yarn there was ambiguous. There was no real strong direction there (I probably maxed out at 50 mph in my test). Sometimes the yarn would go in a bit and sometimes out a bit.

BDA...Excellent test, hope these diagrams better explain your dancing purple yarn!

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 01:15:05 PM »
As I said, I added louvers next to my license plate to exhaust air that was supposed to go through the engine compartment and into my oil cooler mounted underneath the trunk tray and out through a duct to the louvers. I was counting on a low pressure area to help draw the air.

It turns out that I was wrong and the airflow in the back of the car seems to be driven by the low pressure area behind the rear window and on top of the boot lid.

There was a airflow or air pressure graphic of a Europa (IIRC S2) but I haven't been able to find it quickly. If somebody finds it, it might be useful to post it here.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #22 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 02:53:07 PM »

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Friday,October 30, 2020, 04:11:29 PM »
Yes!!  :beerchug:

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,October 31, 2020, 01:26:36 AM »
For future reference, is it possible to redirect the comments under "Resto project done right" (maybe from Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:55:15 AM) to a new thread "Engine Vents and Air flow" - there is some really interesting  info here on this subject and I just thought it would make it easier to find in a future search.     

Offline dakazman

« Reply #25 on: Saturday,October 31, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »
  very nice done.

This was sort of a walk down memory lane and current my current snags. Question, was the  Gearbox overhauled?  A/C additions naturally would need a larger source of power as JB posted .
 Location of AC ducting, not a fan.
 Shifter could have used an upgrade also.

Montune does a fantastic job on all his builds and I for one a fan. I wish they had a shop here in Florida.

Dakazman 

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #26 on: Saturday,October 31, 2020, 04:01:45 PM »
I believe the rear deck lids are interchangeable between the various Europas.

Overall they are, but there is a slight difference on the crown of the rear lip of an S1/S2 vs TCS and it is noticeable.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #27 on: Saturday,October 31, 2020, 04:17:53 PM »
   Chuck what about 4 vent holes  vs 2 ?
Dave

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #28 on: Sunday,November 01, 2020, 07:10:20 AM »
   Chuck what about 4 vent holes  vs 2 ?
Dave

Yes 4 vent being S1/S2 and 2 vent being TC. Credit to JR73 as he pointed it out to me, but the corners of the rear lip that meet the sills are more curved on the 4 vent lids where the TC has a straighter profile.

Offline BDA

« Reply #29 on: Sunday,November 01, 2020, 08:27:33 AM »
The grilles on the S1 and S2 are screwed on where the grilles on the TC are glued.