Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168459 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1170 on: Friday,August 23, 2019, 07:28:29 AM »
Fingers crossed for you, Tom!

I have a similar setup and although I try not to leave the ignition on for long periods of time I sometimes forget. So far, I've had no ignition problems since I installed it and that includes a nine hour trip to Birmingham and back and two four and a half hour trips to Asheville and back. But Certified's story is at least a warning to add a coil and maybe a spare module to the spares we carry. I've heard some people keep a set of points already gapped on a distributor plate so it can be installed in the dizzy if something goes wrong.

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #1171 on: Friday,August 23, 2019, 07:50:57 AM »
Harrowing start to say the least.  Engine dying and then towed home.  Tenacious to find the problem and fix it.  Then hoping Lord Lucas has nothing else in mind for you, off you go alone to catch up only to hit rain.  Nice to hear all was handled.  I am going to have to start a new file on what to carry with me to fix on-the-road problems.  Awesome that you made it and are on your way to LOG.  Dan

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1172 on: Friday,August 23, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
  I hope the events for tomorrow are just clear sailing as they say. You all look real happy.
Stay safe and dry.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1173 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 02:45:18 AM »
Friday morning was clear skies and the temperature and humidity dropped substantially. We all checked out of the holiday Inn Express (because if you stay in a Holiday Inn you can do anything) and loaded our cars. Paul went off in search for a spare fuel pump, Ray found a garage with a lift to fix his exhaust clamp and Bruce tuned his TC Weber carbs a bit. Ted and Debbie pulled out their maps to discuss the next leg of the route.  (yes old school but for back road driving it’s actually nice to see the entire route in detail). We had planned on stopping at F40 Motorsports, but we never got a confirmation from Wayne Carini so we decided that driving and extra 3 hours was not going to be worth it (maybe on the return trip).

Everyone was done with the car prep by 8:15am, we took a group picture and off we went.

Glorious drive to Sturbridge. Nice weather, nice friends, nice roads. You couldn’t ask for more.

Ted was leading in his Elan Sprint as our master navigator with Bruce and Debbie in their Elan S2 right behind comparing route notes via walkie talkie. The car configuration was; Elan Sprint, Elan S2, Lotus Cortina, Europa TCS, Europa TC, Elan S3 and Elise. We were a sight to see and there were times when people waved, but mostly stared at the flock of Lotus cars driving by through small towns.

I’ll bet no-one will ever again see two yellow Europa’s together driving through the country side in the North East. Paul’s TCS is very well done and a finely restored car with lots of attention to detail. Plus he has AC! Like most Lotus owners, he knows every square inch of his car having done all the work himself. Very impressive Paul.

One of the nice things about driving with Ted is that he likes to stop at scenic places. We all pulled over at a scenic view stop of a lake and dam and stretched our legs and enjoyed the view. Of course a number of photo ops presented themselves and I took advantage of Ray (RD Enterprises Ray) and I both wearing his logo t-shirt to get a photo.

As we continued our drive Ted located and picked a very nice restaurant for lunch (The Barn). It had a big parking lot and we attracted attention right away from the Restaraunt staff. As the restaurant filled up for lunch people came over to our table of 9 people and complemented the cars.

One and one half hours later we were in the parking lot of the LOG39 hotel. Parked right next to another Europa TC and this guy walks over and says I would know your car anywhere Glen, I’m Tom (Surf Guitar). We chat for a few minutes and then off to registration and a much needed shower (it got a lot warmer later in the afternoon).

Lotus life. Yes, this is what it’s all about. Surrounded by Lotus cars and enthusiastic Lotus Owners. Can’t wait to look at all the cars and talk to the owners tomorrow on the concourse field.

« Last Edit: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 04:22:35 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1174 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 06:34:11 AM »
You guys are living the life! I wish I were there! Have a great time at the LOG!

:lotus:

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1175 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 12:53:13 PM »
Great turnout for LOG39!  Lot’s of Europa’s and one very special one.......the one and only GKN 47D.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1176 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »
I hope you're taking a lot of pictures!!!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #1177 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
That is incredible!!!! Wish I was there too!!!

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1178 on: Saturday,August 24, 2019, 11:06:05 PM »

That’s a great line up at LOG.

Interesting to note that from what I recognise on the RH side of the photo, perhaps one of the more valuable cars is the one with the least Lotus content!
No disrespect intended, of course, and I’d love a Lotus Cortina.

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #1179 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 01:14:20 AM »
Lovely!  Thanks for the photos.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1180 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 03:46:22 AM »
Saturday night banquet. Lots of great Lotus conversation around the dinner tables. Martin Donnely was the feature speaker. I was surprised he was here as Martin had a serious moped accident that injured his leg a couple of months ago. He was on crutches but in good spirits speaking about his life and the horrible F1 accident he was in.

The highlite of the evening is always the awards ceremony. I’ll let the owners of their cars post there own recognition, but I’m pleased to tell you that 2358R won second place in the Europa TC category.

I also entered the large model contest with two of my Lotus RC Formula One Cars (I had written an article for ReMarque magazine) and they won second place too.

Another great LOG day with lots of great times. Tom (Surf Guitar) and I had a chance to enjoy a beer before the banquet (great to finally meet you Tom and you have a great looking Europa TC. Those headers are a work of art). Of course it didn’t take long to be surrounded by other LOG  participants at the bar.

Next years LOG will be in Utah, September 18 to 21, 2020. Now that would be a long Road Trip .........

« Last Edit: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 01:49:00 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1181 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »
Congratulations on your two seconds, Certified! I have to agree with you, Surf's headers are beautiful!

Sounds like the good times continue!

Bring home (and post) lots (more) pictures!

I hope your trip home will be less eventful and more enjoyable!

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1182 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 09:14:49 AM »
Wow! My first LOG. What a great time and a great bunch of people!

Glen, it was great finally meeting and getting to know you, as well as Paul, Ted and a few others I may not have successfully tied to their forum names. Everyone was super friendly and made me feel welcome with my conspicuous green "First Time Log" ribbon affixed to my badge. I should note that quite a thirsty crowed joined us at the bar and Glen picked up the tab and generously wouldn't accept any help with the bill.

There was an amazing collection of Loti in attendance, but as has been said previously, the Rover V8 Type 47 stole the show. I have attached a few pics for your enjoyment.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1183 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
A few more pics...
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #1184 on: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 09:35:02 AM »
Being a veteran of a few LOGs, I was quite confident you would have a great time! I considered going to this one but I wasn't sure about a 12 hour trip in the summer. I've done much longer trips in my car but I was much younger then!

I know a few Europa owners in NC. I'm sure there are a few in VA and maybe we can organize a meeting in the middle?

Edit: Almost forgot to thank you for the pictures! Great!
« Last Edit: Sunday,August 25, 2019, 09:37:30 AM by BDA »