Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168506 times)

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1140 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 05:13:20 AM »
S U P E R !!!!!
tomorrow morning, you'll be leading the LOG39 road trip with me right behind drooling and awestruck!   I'll need to wear my sunglasses with that bright new yellow paintwork and chrome!
I'm excited!
 :pirate:
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1141 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 05:19:09 AM »
Thanks Ted, so am I  :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

Offline seniorchristo

« Reply #1142 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 05:41:39 AM »
What a fantastic effort Glen! I'm looking forward to our adventure starting tomorrow morning 8)

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1143 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 05:51:35 AM »
Tuesday was important to understand what was going on with my front suspension and the rubbing of the inside of the wheels from the upper control arms (A-Arms).  Larry came over and we talked about what was happening while the car was on the lift and looking at everything. Read the manual a few times, measured everything (camber & Toe) and recognized it was all in spec with the exception that I lowered the car by using 8 inch springs.  Realizing the Bruce had the same issue and bent the ends of the upper control arms and others had added spacers to allow for the clearance of a lowered suspension, I decided on made a few small bends and grinding the metal to shape.

Larry jumped right in and "formed" the new shape of the upper control arms. After our road test and back on the lift to see if the rubbing stopped (it did) I went back with a file and made everything smooth and painted the bare metal black (The devil is in the details).

I was having high temp readings on the temp gauge and couldn't figure out why as the engine was running at the right temp (168 degrees F) as confirmed by the heat sensor I had.  Communicated with Ray at RD and said it could be a bad probe, bad voltage stabilizer or bad ground. Bad ground......that is typical for these cars.  Crawled under the dash (which is getting VERY difficult now that the seats are in) and traced the ground wire to the voltage stabilizer and tested. Yup, it wasn't getting ground. Made a new wire, installed it and the temp and fuel gauge are now both running accurately.

The right side door was giving me problems as I could open from the inside and not the outside. Realized the lock was installed upside down, so Larry worked on the door and I finished installing the trim on the left door (I had to take apart everything I did the night before and put washers behind the internal door opener so it was proud of the door panel to install the black plastic trim piece.  By the time I got done Larry was almost finished and he called it a day.

I then installed the right door trim (I'm smarter now). 

My daily RD Enterprises box arrived with the three flashers I had ordered from Ray. Looked at them all, followed the wiring diagram and decided I would replace the Lucas  flasher first.  Yup, that was the culprit, flashers work perfectly now.

I had been waiting for the car to be close to done to Loctite the interior bolts that hold the axles to the upright.  Removed four from each side and put blue Loctite on them then re-threaded. 

Buttoned up all the wiring in the front bonnet area and removed the air horns as they were in the way of the spare tire (yes I always carry one of those). Will reinstall the air horns at a later date. Got all the wiring harness hangers installed and zip tied the wiring together. Put the jack in and a jack plate (wooden plate for protecting the fiberglass when jacking). Installed the front wire screen in the body opening and bolted in the bonnet.

It was 10:00pm at night. Good time for a road test! Told my wife I was leaving, grabbed my cell phone and took off in the dark. 30 miles later I was back on my garage, car up on the lift looking for any signs of leaks of rubbing. All good.

Once the car was back on the ground I tightened all the bolts for the suspension. Now that the car is lowered, getting underneath was a chore but there is nothing like laying on the concrete floor with a wrench in your hand to show the love you have for your project.

It was midnight. I had a beer to celebrate, took a shower and went to bed.

LOG39 here we come. :trophy:
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 05:57:59 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1144 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 06:34:45 AM »
Congratulations, Certified! You made it!  :beerchug:

I imagine there may be more satisfaction after spending all those all-nighters to get her finished. Have a great time at the LOG and tell us all about it when you get back!

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #1145 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 07:26:34 AM »
Awesome.  Great checkpoint and time to spare for the ride to LOG.  Congratulations.  Well deserved.  Dan

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1146 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 07:35:14 AM »
 :pirate: :pirate :pirate:

Take lots of pics and videos like you did on your road trip. Congrats
Dakazman

Offline gideon

« Reply #1147 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 08:07:39 AM »
Congratulations.  I'm impressed that you not only finished the restoration, but also found time to write up each days successes and setbacks.  Amazing.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #1148 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 08:22:51 AM »
 :beerchug: congrats my friend! I think you had most of the form on the edge. But I'm really happy to know your car will make it to LOG 39.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1149 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 09:19:55 AM »
Thanks guys!  I am very proud to have (mostly) completed my restoration.

Just back from a 40 mile road test.  Car didn't miss a beat.  The front wheels have a bit of a vibration at 53mph and above. Will take them off and have them rebalanced today.  The transaxle seal on the left side has a small weep that isn't concerning but I'm watching it. I used Swepco 210 multigrade gear oil and I'm wondering if its too thin. And I need to be careful of potholes and large bumps as the suspension is low enough that the sway bar hits the road. I think Ill adjust the springs a bit to give me an extra inch.

Put the last finishing touches on 2358R when I returned to my garage. The rear window now proudly displays the Europa.org sticker and my own GRS Motorsports sticker on the interior engine deck lid.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1150 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »
Looks fantastic Cert! Looking forward to meeting you and the TC at LOG. First beer is on me!  :beerchug:
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #1151 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »
Way to go.  My congratulations.  Have fun with the final preparations for loading the Europa for the trip.  Take pictures and I can't wait to see the movie.  Dan

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #1152 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
two things Glen....
1) definitely raise that front since when the car is all packed for traveling tomorrow, you'll have lots more weight in it to lower the car more than you might want (no scraping)
2) wheel vibration is a fact of life with those Lotus alloy wheels i'm afraid.   I wish you luck, but find it pretty unlikely that you'll resolve that issue.

see you tomorrow morning!!!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #1153 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
Obviously, rechecking the balance and even the roundness of the tire should be checked first. I've always loved the style of the Lotus Brand wheels but the shoulder-lug-nut-with-washer system allowed the holes in the wheels to be wallowed out over time. I wonder if the holes in the Lotus Brand wheels could be sleeved or converted for conical seat lug nuts.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1154 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
Fit them first using tapered lug nuts.  Then fit the OEM bolts/nuts.