Author Topic: Reassembling the TCS doors  (Read 169 times)

Offline Kendo

Re: Reassembling the TCS doors
« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:01:17 PM »
I didn't take any pictures. But the Banks hinge is basically a headed bolt with washers on both sides, and a nut. The abrasive washers go between the washers on each end and the bodywork. The abrasive washers need to be modified, with a hole big enough for the bolt to pass through. I found the best way to cut through the diamond grit side of the washer was with a panel punch of the right size. https://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-10-piece-60575.html I tried chucking a washer in my lathe and cutting the circle. But I just ground down the bit. It turns out diamond cuts better than carbide :)

Online BDA

« Reply #16 on: Today at 04:13:40 PM »
I can’t help with where to put abrasive washers. I just thought I’d just interject that I don’t use them on my car and I haven’t seen the need for them. Maybe I’m missing out…

Offline Kendo

« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:30:34 PM »
You and others have mentioned that. So at first I assembled the hinges with no abrasive washers. Still used the brass washers that came with the hinges of course. But I could not successfully adjust the doors. Either the hinge was bolted down tight enough to not move at all, or it slid around uncontrollably. I couldn't find a middle ground. Maybe it has to do with the slickness of the clear coat I used. Would it have worked if bearing against the metal of the door bobbins? I even roughed up the brass washers with 36 grit sand paper. It didn't work until I used the abrasive washers, and then it did. That's only my experience. Obviously it can work without the abrasive washers too.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #18 on: Today at 04:35:52 PM »

I have Banks hinges but didn't use washers. Just the brass nuts on the doors. I too wasn't sure if I was missing something. I don't like the brass rotating in the aluminum bobbing. I thought maybe the washers would force the hinge to rotate inside instead.

I used diamond blades (wet tile saw) everyday for 30 years. I can confirm diamonds cut through anything.

Online BDA

« Reply #19 on: Today at 06:14:24 PM »
Maybe some course sandpaper might be helpful.